Fresh and Salt Water Fish Forum?

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Well time for a little update. Its been a couple weeks and so far it is all clean no ich and everything seems well. The tank currently consists of four red platys, and a zigzag eel. Gonna leave it like that for a month or so and add some other fish, maybe some sunset gouramis.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I've been doing a little research and found out that small spiny eels can be kept in groups. I think I'm going to get another one to see if it sparks more activity in the eel I have now. The little bugger I have now never comes out of the gravel... ever. And from what I have read the kind I have now (a zigzag) are the most personable and explorative... Yah ok...

Maybe a buddy will make them show himself some more.

So as it stands I have 4 platys and a zigzag eel. It is a standard 29 gal tank.

Help me fill it. I'm thinking some honey sunset dwarf gouramis, some golden wonder killies for the top to mid levels. Any suggestions are welcome. As for the bottom level, I was thinking another eel, possibly some kuhli loaches again, and some kind of vegetarian catfish, as well as a pleco of some kind. Again any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

Ultrakd

Gecko Geeks
Hey

Somthing really good is Clown Loaches thery are really cute and they help keep your tank clean. Another thing to consider getting are live plants. They help keep nitrate down and provide oxygen for your fish. Another great fish that was my favorite was a Monoargentis.I named him Mono, he was definatly my favorite, but then the hurrucanes came by and he died :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:.Then thier are the African Dworf Frogs, they are competly aquitic but you have to make sure you have a lid because if you startel them htey will jump out of the tank. I dont know what you feed your fish but I feed mine frozen blood worms and I feed my eels frozen krill. Have any more questions ask me.

Last edited:
L

LadyGecko

At one time I had a large tank full of clown loaches of various sizes and I have also kept Albino African Clawed frogs that grew to be huge

I LOVE clown loaches!!

Have you guys ever seen them full grown??
OMG-they are huge at around a foot in length

I think that Monos and Archers are very cool fish too

I miss my fish !!

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I think she was referring to the clown loaches which can actually reach about a foot in length if given the proper space.

I feed my eel bloodworms, which is from what I read one of the only things the "readily" eat.

I don't think I'll be getting any clawed frogs, I've seen how big these "dwarves" can get, my neighbor had one who got quite big and ate most of his smaller fish :(.

BettaDragon

African Clawed frogs and Dwarf frogs are to different species. The way you can tell the difference when they're small is the clawed frogs don't have webbing on their front feet and dwarf ones do.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Hmmm cool, didn't know that. I still think I will pass on them though, I'm trying to maximize space and there are just too many cool fish!

S

StinaKSU

Yeah...the problem with the dwarves is that many stores sell young clawed frogs as dwarves. The African Dwarf frogs only get to about 2" in length max. They very cute and make very interesting aquarium pets! I recently got 2 for my 14 gallon with "nano" fish (all the fish I have stay under 1.5" in length...many are currently around 1/2-3/4") and have not noticed any losses. The frogs have done a small amount of chasing, but they mostly behave themselves. I had one about a year ago that lived with my betta at the time...until my roommate's dog and cat knocked over the bowl...... The only problem with them is that they can be difficult to feed...some will only accept live foods, though most will accept freeze dried or frozen foods.

BettaDragon

I used to keep tons of dwarf frogs. They stay really small. I fed them freeze dried blood worms no problem. I had one living with a betta and that one ate hikari betta biogold as well. As an added note, dwarf frogs do make noise. I used to have one that chirped whenever I was in the room.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Yeah I would really like to have a forum dedicated to fish as well.

L

LadyGecko

BettaDragon said:
I used to keep tons of dwarf frogs. They stay really small. I fed them freeze dried blood worms no problem. I had one living with a betta and that one ate hikari betta biogold as well. As an added note, dwarf frogs do make noise. I used to have one that chirped whenever I was in the room.

Aquatic frogs are awesome

:main_yes:

BettaDragon

LadyGecko said:
Aquatic frogs are awesome

:main_yes:
Yeah I know. I got really pissed at my school last year. They were keeping a beautiful clawed frog in a ten gallon. The poor thing jumped out and died.:main_no:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Maybe eventually. I did get some fish today though. I came home with 2 golden wonder killies, 2 gold gouramis, 1 banjo catfish, and another spiny eel. This eel is so much bolder than the other one, out in the open and swimming with the other fish, very cool!

BettaDragon

I love gouramis. I never got any but I love them. I'm trying to get around to getting a group of paradise fish. Anabantoids are definitely my favorite group of fish.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I agree my favorite are the honey sunset gouramis but I didn't find any today I liked. I also like the opalines and the golds and the golds were on sale today so I nabbed a few.

Visit our friends