Fresh and Salt Water Fish Forum?

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
There is no carbon in the tank, unless the "bio-fiber" has carbon in it too... And I just found 3 more dead fish... awesome... this time it was the other hoplo and 2 kuhli... and for some reason the tank temp continues to gradually drop... looks like I need to buy a new heater too... just awesome...

L

LadyGecko

With ICH-your bottom feeders and scaleless fish will often be the first to die off
So sorry to read of the problems that you are having and yeah-I would get a new heater asap

Man-that sucks that you lost your Hoplo's
:main_thumbsdown:
They are such cool cats

Can you describe your bio-filter?
It might have carbon in it-is it just bio balls or does it have cartridges?

The bio filter that I was speaking of is the cultured good bacteria that makes up your bacteria bed in the tank

This is usually on the gravel or can be grown on bio-balls and various other mediums used to culture bacteria on

It is a natural filter that helps keeps your ph steady and ammonia/nitrates /nitrites down when it is functioning/healthy

Last edited by a moderator:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Well my filter had two packs... a bio-filter that is gray and looks like a bunch of intertwined string, and a blue one that said "carbon" on the actual filter and had little black pellets in the grid work. Should I just remove the bio filter too? Might as well... can't do any worse to the tank that its already done...

Last edited:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Well the gold nugget just died too... went to walmart and they didn't have jack in the department of heaters... But I got some new air tubing and a few air stones because the tube I had up until recently didn't do jack... but now oh NOW there are bubbles!!!!! So at least its one plus to a very apocalyptic tank... :(

L

LadyGecko

No-If the grey stringy one is just plastic or something like that-leave it be
It has the beneficial bacteria on it

It wouldn't have carbon embedded in it unless it is meant to be replaced frequently like the filter pack

I hope that your tank gets straightened out soon

:main_yes:

C

cullens

just remove the one that says carbon and keep the other one in like ladygecko said it has beneficial bacteria on it.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
The one with carbon has been removed since the beginning of the treatment... Only the bio fiber has been in the filter itself... This is such a bummer...

Well I guess this means I at least get to get some different fish when this all clears up eh?...:main_no:

Last edited:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Ok so I have decided to sell the rest of the healthy looking fish to the petstore and start over. I have read ich will die in 5 days without a host so I will leave the tank empty for 7. I also am going to buy a new heater, a submersible one and some aquarisol and do another fishless cycle....

But after that I will hopefully get some new fish in another week or two if all goes well... yay... :(...

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Ok so I sold the healthy fish back to the fish store. I cleaned the tank and got rid of the ich filled gravel. And now the tank is sitting empty. I will buy a submersible heater and a few new decorations... the quick cure turned some of the white ones blue... and not the pretty kind. My cousin gave me some gravel from his old chichlid tank, so I will mix that with some gravel from a new bag. I will set it all up do another fishless cycle and start anew and hope for the best... I also got a different kind of water treatment/medicine called Aquari-sol, everyone I have talked to swears by it so... I have also read that most of the ich will die in 55 hours without its hosts so leaving it sit for many days will hopefully also help in killing the stuff...

Other than that just planning some other fish for the new tank... this time I will also add them slowly and not as many at one time. I was thinking something along these:

1x Spiny Eel
3-4x Kuhli/Chain/Zebra loaches
4x Sunset Honey Gouramis
3x Golden Wonder Killies
1x Fancy small kind of pleco

Any changes/suggestions are welcome and wish me luck. I've done all that I can do.

98XJSport

The spiney eels are cool to watch, I have 2. Often can't see them without looking, just thier "nose" sticks out of the gravel. But the rest of the time they are pretending to blend in with the plants, looking for baby guppies.

I ended up getting a couple knight goby's, pretty cool to watch they don't have typica swimming patterns, they kinda hover for lack of a better term. No idea if they would be compatible with what you are looking into getting, however.

Chiefmcfuz

Most of the time you can find me hanging out on Manhattan Reefs forum. I have a 24 gallon aquapod now, before that a 29 g and a 55 g reef and just broke down my 12 gallon angler fish tank due to an unfortunate death :( I love reefing, hopefully the Leo will grow on me like the reef bug did.

Chiefmcfuz

GeckoStud said:
Ok so I have decided to sell the rest of the healthy looking fish to the petstore and start over. I have read ich will die in 5 days without a host so I will leave the tank empty for 7. I also am going to buy a new heater, a submersible one and some aquarisol and do another fishless cycle....

But after that I will hopefully get some new fish in another week or two if all goes well... yay... :(...

GeckoStud

Ich takes time to die off, the best thing to do and safest is to leave the tank fallow for 4 to 6 weeks before adding any fish.

soccerdad

We have 4 Kuhli loaches and theyre awesome to watch wizzing around, whenever we have gotten ich Quick Cure has gotten rid of it quickly you just have to remember with smaller fish like tetras you have to use a reduced dose and the same with plecos as theyre sensative to it... I have used it with clown plecos, bristlenose and rubberlips with no issues

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I got some good advice from some other individuals and the posters on this thread, thank you all very much.

I think I am just going to set up the tank and treat it with ich meds for a week. Without any fish I can safely raise the temperature as high as I can make it go 86+ degrees and speed up the ich's life cycle. Add to the fact that I have changed gravel (where the majority of the ich lives so I gather) and have removed its food source it should die rather quickly. After all that I think I will add some tiger barbs. Just tiger barbs so that the tank can get acclimated, and then I will go from there.

Last edited:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
This is such a cruel irony... I bought some tiger barbs today... They looked fine in the tank and at the store. I bring them home and while they are floating in the bag getting acclimated to the water temp... I notice 5 of them have white spots on their tails... ICH!!!!! GAAAAAH!!! They are in a seperate tank so that they cannot infect my other even more... hopefully I can cure this bunch or I may give up on fish for a while...

C

cullens

i would take the fish back to the store you got them from and tell them about the ich

L

LadyGecko

Chiefmcfuz said:
Most of the time you can find me hanging out on Manhattan Reefs forum. I have a 24 gallon aquapod now, before that a 29 g and a 55 g reef and just broke down my 12 gallon angler fish tank due to an unfortunate death :( I love reefing, hopefully the Leo will grow on me like the reef bug did.

Brenden-sorry to hear about the loss of your Angel tank

I think that you will find geckos(Leos) just as addictive and in the long run-much less expensive than Marine Tanks
Their upkeep usually is a lot less costly-lol

I love Marine tanks but their delicate balance is way too taxing for me to try and maintain
Not to mention that my tap water sucks !!

Sandy

Chiefmcfuz

I don't use tap water I use either RO/DI water or distilled water :) I plan on keeping my reef til the day I can't take care of it anymore. (Pretty much when I am dead LOL) Leo is cool, was thinking about getting it a friend or getting some cresties but the costs can add up to LOL!

L

LadyGecko

GeckoStud said:
This is such a cruel irony... I bought some tiger barbs today... They looked fine in the tank and at the store. I bring them home and while they are floating in the bag getting acclimated to the water temp... I notice 5 of them have white spots on their tails... ICH!!!!! GAAAAAH!!! They are in a separate tank so that they cannot infect my other even more... hopefully I can cure this bunch or I may give up on fish for a while...

While this is really quick and the spots may have been on the barbs in the store-moving fish can stress them and before you know it-your fish that appeared completely healthy when purchased have ich

There are tanks in the hobby for unknown reasons are called "death tanks" and people usually end up getting rid of them or just not using them for fish anymore

Treat the barbs in the tank that you have them in and seed your display tank after leaving it either empty or fish less
Add the barbs when all of the test levels are correct and if you add any more fish-do it very slowly as to keep the bacteria bed stable and not to create much more additional ammonia/nitrites that the bed cannot handle -IE mini-cycles

Keeping fish of any type can be very frustrating

Have you have an analysis of your water done to see if there is a problem at the source?

After being constantly frustrated with disasters in fish keeping after we moved to my present location form the South Chicago suburbs with Lake Michigan as my water source- I gave up fish keeping mostly due to a report from my local water department every 3 months that informs me that the arsenic levels rise to unsafe levels in our towns well water
I also could not handle all of the water changes in multiple large tanks anymore due to arthritis in my hands

Oh and I don't use the tap water for my pets/reptiles nor do I drink it after finding this out

:main_rolleyes:

Sandy

Visit our friends