Fresh and Salt Water Fish Forum?

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
All right, my mother picked up some quick-cure from walmart. Will it hurt the fish if I wait another day to do the salt heat method? Or should I just use the quick cure now and be done with it? I'm not even sure if the walmarts near use carry aquarium salt actually. And the closest petstore is 30+ minutes away. Will the quick cure harm any of the fish I have?

C

cullens

what fish do you have? any scaleless then theres a special kind of quick qure for scaleless but i cant remember the name off hand but the heat and salt would be fine for both. also if you do use the quick cure make sure you take the carbon pad in the hob filter while you run the meds. but if you use the heat and salt you dont have to take out the pad. even running the meds you should still bump up the temp.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Question which one is the carbon filter? Is it the blue filter pack or the bio-filter that is supposed to never be replaced?

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Thanks so far everyone looks ok, a couple of the loaches are loafing around so I'm gonna increase airation and cut back on the dosage.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Ok so it didn't look much better after four days so I did a 50% water change and will try the meds again.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
All right I did the 50% water change and still have the filter with the carbon in it removed. But the ich looks worse, Is "quick cure" a good medicine or not, it is what I have been using but I dunno. Also does the bio fiber in the filter do anything to tamper with the meds?

C

cullens

ich usually look worse before it gets better. just keep running the meds and things should work out. whats the tanks temp?

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
It dropped to 76 for some reason, it dropped after I did the water change. I have the heater turned all the way up too. But what I don't understand is it was all the way up to 84 before and that was when the weather was colder outside...

FelanMoira

Just kinda jumping in in the middle of the convo - but I'm planning on setting up a fresh water angel fish tank soon!

L

LadyGecko

GeckoStud said:
All right I did the 50% water change and still have the filter with the carbon in it removed. But the ich looks worse, Is "quick cure" a good medicine or not, it is what I have been using but I dunno. Also does the bio fiber in the filter do anything to tamper with the meds?

Actually it is often the other way around-most meds tend to damage the biological filter even if they say that they don't
The tank will often go into a mini-cycle after the usage of ICH meds

Be sure to dose with the entire recommended amount of days of treatment as it is the cysts in the water that you are actually killing-not what is on the fish
Also-some types of fish require half dosage because of sensitivity to the medicine-usually silver sided and scaleless fish are the most affected

I do agree that ICH does seem to get worse before it gets better and it can go unnoticed when the fish first become infected as it often starts inside of the gills
That is what usually kills the fish-massive infestation inside of the gills

I used to do large water changes on the days in between treatments -not sure if that is still recommended with all meds for this parasite

ICH is a major pain and seems to come from nowhere but it is mostly noticed when there has been a sudden steep temp drop in the tank

What type of heater are you using-I have found that the submersibles are the best and that the more expensive ones are actually better than the cheaper ones

hope this helps

Sandy

S

StinaKSU

ICH is a major pain and seems to come from nowhere
Ich is actually a natural component of essentially all aquariums....even healthy ones...it becomes a problem when fish are stressed and it is capable of multiplying to abnormally high levels.

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Just using the heater that came with the tank kit. I will have to check for the actual model, when I find out I will show it. So when you say it damages the bio filter I should remove it? I'm using quick cure which is supposed to be a 5 day total thing it says to treat for, so far I have been treating for about 9... I have read "I had a Snail" is supposed to kill all invertibrates including ich very very fast and affectively... but it also annihilates all invertibrates ie: shrimp snails and etc. I may look into more if the stuff I'm using now just doesn't work...

So far only the kuhlis and the plecos seem to be heavily affected, every one else looks like only a couple spots on the fins and some of the gourami's seem to be completely unaffected.

And I have had two casualties in the last 2 days... my rubber nose pleco, and one of my hoplos... this sucks...

C

cullens

if you left the carbon in the tank and been running the meds then you havent treated the tank because the carbon will remove the meds. sorry for you losses and thinks should get better just keep the temp up.

Visit our friends