The Edit Feature

D

Double LY

I have been noticing that the number of posts with the "edit" notation has been increasing lately. I understand that sometimes you might catch a typo after posting and go fix it, but it also seems sometimes "snarky" comments are made and then the poster attempts to retract it with an edit.

I think if the edit feature is used, the poster should have to make a notation of what portion of the post is being edited. It shouldn't be used to backtrack a comment once a thread turns south or if they feel others interpreted what was said wrong. If something out-of-line is posted, someone will alert a mod to make the edit and appropriate warnings will be given if necessary. Otherwise, if you post it, own it. It works well for some :robin:

Bert-N-Sheila

DOT COM JUNKIES
Haha, that would be great but I am not aware of a addon for any bbs that would allow the admins to see what was originally posted. I mean it could be done through server logs but who has that much time, let alone will power, to be a nerd?

:)

I agree though, being a member on multiple forums since 96 and admining one of the more heavily populated forums, teamwarfare.com(gaming site), I've always wished for such a feature. One thing I have learned over the years is this: If there's a problem with a sneaky person, that sneaky person always slips up and shows their true self out of rage, anger, and spite. It's in their e-ego nature. That's when you can justify forum penalty action.

D

Double LY

I didn't mean the mods have to "police" every thread that has been edited. I meant that we already have a "report a bad post" button that can be used by everyone and the mods get the judgment call if something should be edited/the poster gets warned/thread gets locked/etc. because it is out of line.

Is there a feature of some sort available that restricts edits to be made within a certain amount of time?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
We agree, and there seems to be one particular member that is abusing the edit function for retracting nasty comments more than anyone else. GeckoForums.net Administration is aware of this problem and working collectively to find a solution before this person winds up getting banned from this website.

D

Double LY

Golden Gate Geckos said:
We agree, and there seems to be one particular member that is abusing the edit function for retracting nasty comments more than anyone else. GeckoForums.net Administration is aware of this problem and working collectively to find a solution before this person winds up getting banned from this website.

You're the coolest "mean ol' gecko lady" around. I should have known you guys were on top of things. That's why I love this forum :D

marula

i use the edit funciotn! please, don't take it away!!!!!!!!!!
i generally write really fast..and i need to check and edit my bad english in the correct form everytime (with the dictionary)..if not you guys problably will have some problems to understand me!!!

BluGnat

Opus
Double LY said:
Is there a feature of some sort available that restricts edits to be made within a certain amount of time?

I had to set it on my board (a different hobby, but vBulletin) to a 3 minute window because some jerk made incredibly inflammatory/derogatory statements - and then much later, after many people had read and commented, went back deleting what they wrote and replaced the text with innocuous smilies.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Tell you what... you could help the staff here a lot if you would send us the pre-edited screen shots when you see this kind of crap, or at least do a copy and paste of the post.

marula

3 minutes is a nice way...so you can have the time to correct if someting is wrong but not edit the entire post...
the problem is : "think before write" ahahahahhahaha

Scott&Nikki

I think the 3 minute thing would be great. I use it on a regular basis, but strickly because I can't type for cr@p lol. I do remember one or two times that I did edit a post because of something I said, but it was not that I was trying to "take back" my comments. I just felt I worded things wrong and wanted to make things easier to understand.

EDIT: HAHA how weird is that using the edit function in this thread. Anyway, I think it might also work to have the edit feature disappear once someone else responds in the thread.

robin

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Tell you what... you could help the staff here a lot if you would send us the pre-edited screen shots when you see this kind of crap, or at least do a copy and paste of the post.
i just spoke with marcia and i suggested to her, that when you see these "certain posts or members" to reply with the quote included in the reply (of course pre edit or even post edit if they multiple edit). capturing it in a quote will be saved and if the person does edit it, the quote, in a responding thread will not change.
does that make sense?

see look i am editing by adding to it and the quote isnt changing :p

Last edited:
D

Double LY

robin said:
i just spoke with marcia and i suggested to her, that when you see these "certain posts or members" to reply with the quote included in the reply (of course pre edit or even post edit if they multiple edit). capturing it in a quote will be saved and if the person does edit it, the quote, in a responding thread will not change.
does that make sense?

Excellent! I didn't know that the quote would remain unedited.

Scott&Nikki

robin said:
does that make sense?

Like this! Robin, edit your post. I dare ya.....

D

Double LY

robin said:
kelly, scott and nikki see post #12

But if Marcia were to edit her post that you are quoting, would the quote remain the same or would it be the edited version? Sorry to be a pest and drag this thread out, but I want to make sure I understand how this works - I'm a computer moron ;)

Visit our friends