question about genetics

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
You guys really have too much time on your hands. Why don't you just use the Advanced Genetics Wizard at http://www.geneticswizard.com/ ?
Anyone with even a little genetics knowledge can eventually make a punnet square work, but only a true lazy "Master of the Odds" breeder can estimate their chances without having to think. Now, if everyone will stop pretending to be genetics professors for a moment, I think I will go pretend to study the finer points of the 6.25 % chance of hatching a double recessive from 100% double hets. Peace.

Jeff876533

Jeffrayy
ok i also might buy one from www.lllreptile.com. i asked him if it was a certain percent het or was it 100% het. he replied: They are either blizzard, or not blizzard :) het for blizzard is pretty worthless these days. These are blizzard, and pictured at the website :)

so this means theyre 100% het for blizzard, right? im almost positive, just making sure

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Sounds like they are actual blizzards; not het for blizzard! (Hence, "het for blizzard is pretty worthless these days")

Anyway, to clear up what you asked in your previous post...

When something is 66% POSSIBLE het for anything, that means that the leo looks normal, but it is possibly a het; the name that they give this type of leo is where the "66% het" comes in. Now, if you do end up breeding it and get an albino (we're back to the albino example) then you know for sure that it is a het. In other words, once you figure out that it is a het for albino, you know that it is 100% het. To reinstate my point, a 66% het may or maynot be a het (there is that 66% chance), but, once you know that it is a het for albino, then you know that it does carry the recessive albino gene. A leo is either het, or it isn't. The 66% just means that it COULD carry the gene that you're looking for; but this also means that it could not. :)

T

TripleMoonsExotic

Franks_Geckos said:
You guys really have too much time on your hands. Why don't you just use the Advanced Genetics Wizard at http://www.geneticswizard.com/ ?
Anyone with even a little genetics knowledge can eventually make a punnet square work, but only a true lazy "Master of the Odds" breeder can estimate their chances without having to think.

Because some of us don't NEED a genetics wizard to figure out simple genetics. ;)

ok i also might buy one from www.lllreptile.com. i asked him if it was a certain percent het or was it 100% het. he replied: They are either blizzard, or not blizzard het for blizzard is pretty worthless these days. These are blizzard, and pictured at the website

so this means theyre 100% het for blizzard, right? im almost positive, just making sure

Sounds like they're telling you the ARE Blizzards, not hets.

T

TripleMoonsExotic

PaulSage said:
Okay, you guys even have me second guessing myself! :main_laugh:

The father of the gecko in question is a Blizzard het for Albino (looks like a blizzard, but carries the albino gene). The mom is a double het for blizzard and albino (she looks normal, but carries both traits).

I whipped up a Punnet square for the breeding. The possible alleles that the male can pass on are in blue, the female's in pink. A "visual" blizzard, such as the one in question, is highlighted in yellow.

AabbXAaBb.jpg

Now, this is where Paul gets a little confused. :) IF we weren't dealing with a double-recessive cross, I buy the 66% term. However, since it is theoretically possible for a visual blizzard to also be a visual albino from this pairing, we can eliminate one of the potential outcomes since the blizzard in question is not a "blazing" (the "aabb" one in the bottom corner). So, instead of having the 2/3 or 66%, we have 5/7 or 71%. Right?

I remember the 71% stat from a genetics class I had taken, but since I've never heard it mentioned in reptile genetics, I just go with the flow. lol I could very well be off my rocker though, it has been a rather spastic week...

Your image is gone, so I don't know what your PS looked like...

But how I figure out double recessive is by pulling it all apart.

Blizzard x het Blizzard
=
Blizzards
&
Normals 100% het Blizzard
[Thus all non-Blizzard offspring will be 100% het Blizzard]

het Albino x het Albino
=
Albinos
&
66% het Albino
[Thus all non-Albino offspring will be 66% het Albino)

37.5% Blizzards 66% Albino
37.5% Normals 100% Blizzard 66% het Albino
12.5% Albinos 100% het Blizzard
12.5% Blazing Blizzards

Last edited by a moderator:

nwheat

If you are interested in learning more about genetics, and enjoying playing around on the computer, and perhaps dragons, try this! This is what I use to teach genetics in my college level biology courses, although it was originally set up for middle & high school classes. Try it, it's fun (oh, and educational, too!).

Visit our friends