local people

justindh1

I wish that the member list contained what state the members of GF are from atleast if not the town. I would like to see what members live around me. It would be nice to meet some that are local instead of trying to rely on seeing people at expos and etc. What does everyone think about this?

B

BioWorkZ

Yeah, and everyone on GF should get a secret decoder ring too.

robin

umm if people would like to disclose their info like where they are from they can simply change it in the user CP

and it would show up over there
<------------

justindh1

umm if people would like to disclose their info like where they are from they can simply change it in the user CP

and it would show up over there
<------------

I guess if you want to go through every profile to see where someone is from then that would work.

I think it would be better to have it in the member list where you can search to find people instead of it taking forever to look through the 20,000 members profiles here.

Why don't you try it the way you want and you can see how long that would take. Bet you would barely get started befor you realized that it isn't that great of an idea.

robin

I guess if you want to go through every profile to see where someone is from then that would work.

I think it would be better to have it in the member list where you can search to find people instead of it taking forever to look through the 20,000 members profiles here.

Why don't you try it the way you want and you can see how long that would take. Bet you would barely get started befor you realized that it isn't that great of an idea.

a lot of the people on here do not disclose their location and i suppose that is for a reason. it would be cool to find people in your area quickly but now a days people are all about anonymity and being safe. now i am not saying all people are like this (or putting where you live is a bad or an unsafe thing) but many are. so what i am getting at is if people chose to not disclose their info to begin with why would they start now? yeah i think it would be a cool thing but how many people would be willing to participate in it? because people can not be forced to do it. perhaps a sticky that people can choose to disclose their info in might work better or like someone else suggested, a subforum or something.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Well how about a simple search function like we allready have above, Just add a database for areas, so any member that wishes to disclose their hometown or city near them another member can search say "london" and anyone in the area would pop up.
If they disclosed this info on their profile of course, have it as a simple list? or England or UK and have a list like

User/ Location(london, cardiff, manchester etc)/posts.
Or something to that thought.

justindh1

a lot of the people on here do not disclose their location and i suppose that is for a reason. it would be cool to find people in your area quickly but now a days people are all about anonymity and being safe. now i am not saying all people are like this (or putting where you live is a bad or an unsafe thing) but many are. so what i am getting at is if people chose to not disclose their info to begin with why would they start now? yeah i think it would be a cool thing but how many people would be willing to participate in it? because people can not be forced to do it. perhaps a sticky that people can choose to disclose their info in might work better or like someone else suggested, a subforum or something.

If someone doesn't want to put their location then they don't have to. It shouldn't be a manditory thing for the people out their that are paranoid. Some people need to quit being so negative and actually see what someone is trying to do instead of jumping the gun.:main_thumbsup: If someone really wanted to find out where you lived then their are many options in this age of technology. I just figures that people would like to see who lives around them that are members of GF!

robin

If someone doesn't want to put their location then they don't have to. It shouldn't be a manditory thing for the people out their that are paranoid. Some people need to quit being so negative and actually see what someone is trying to do instead of jumping the gun.:main_thumbsup: If someone really wanted to find out where you lived then their are many options in this age of technology. I just figures that people would like to see who lives around them that are members of GF!

i wasn't trying to be negative, i was trying to be a realist. i do not care if people know where i live. san marcos, texas, if you must. however there are many people who do not want people knowing where they live, it's not them being paranoid just their preference for whatever reason. like i said i think it is a cool idea but i do not know how many people would be willing to participate.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
i wasn't trying to be negative, i was trying to be a realist. i do not care if people know where i live. san marcos, texas, if you must. however there are many people who do not want people knowing where they live, it's not them being paranoid just their preference for whatever reason. like i said i think it is a cool idea but i do not know how many people would be willing to participate.

I am going to get you :evilgrin:

Bellalee

How bout a sticky...? With members from each state so they can choose if they want to disclose their information or not?? or a board with only stickies for states/countries.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Rachel there is a rather big flaw in that plan, It is not very good for actually finding the info that you want if you have to sift through 2000 odd posts about where people are from to see if somone is in your area, I did see something on Reptilegeeks that might be of use though, they have their members on a sort of google maps thing, each with their own little tag on the map, so as you zoom in on an area it will pop up with all the people in that area with either a blue or pink tag (Guys/Gals), I think that would be something to look into if Kell likes the sound of it.

Ps As you click on the tags it comes up with profile name, age, where abouts in that area if you wana be extra specific it comes up with the town name or such and such, again only members who disclose their location on their profiles would come up on the map.

Visit our friends