Don't laugh at me, I got bitten...

G

GeckDude

Holy crap! That's gnarly. Talk about the kiss-of-death!

I have even put my face close to my gecko a few times. I think I will be a little more cautious from now on. I wouldn't have thought they could be so destructive. Damn.

Hope it heals quickly and doesn't happen henceforth.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I kiss my geckos at least 20 times per night (per gecko...), not joking! But this is the very first time I got biten. I still think this is a VERY RARE occurance; but damn, the fact that he woundn't let go has scared me, and I didn't have the courage to kiss their little mouths again last night...what a pity. I think I can only kiss their back from now on...:(

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
GECKOS BITE? --YOU BET

Oh my gosh Bonnie! Holy cow...and people say these animals would never bite...I know better after all these posts!

??????????????huh? The only ones
that would state this is someone not yet bitten.
Gecko age and added jaw strength will change those posts.

Sorry Bonnie about your Love Bite.......
but actually it was a death to you bite.

If you ever saw two males lock up, you will understand that he felt
threatened by the smell of a male and the Movement of your lips.
The only way I unlocked males from their death grip was to
mist them down with a water spray bottle. That will unlock them.
Some of the information about washing hands before and after
handling Each gecko relates to the male threat
smell being transfered. .....
of course along with passing on virus and salmonella...........
And I think that could include passing on through a bite.
................Too late now, but there have been
posts about bad bites.......Marcia has had stitches a
couple times, and not too long back a bite to the face.
I had a bad bite from a 126 gram male from feeding by
hand that taught me to use wooden tongs ever since.
I bet you feed by hand too. "get tongs"..
or at least have a mist bottle near by..it's still fun to do.
Again, Sorry for your mishap and pain. take care. HJ

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Not always so

Oh wow Bonnie, that does look pretty painful! I can't believe how the sweetest of geckos can instantly change, even for just one moment. Makes perfect sense about him smelling the other male and becoming aggressive though, I'm sure that's what it was. I'm so sorry about your lip, but I'm sure it will heal quickly. At least Bubu is back to his sweet little baby-like self :) I kiss our geckos all of the time too! I guess you just can't be too careful when handling multiple males, I'll have to always keep that in mind!

I guess you just can't be too careful when handling multiple males,
(per B. Spears)

Believe me, this is not always the reason.
I had washed my hands and handled one male only...
No stitches but thought about it after much bleeding and
a cut, as if by a razor blade.......And remember about
the transfer of Salmonella ...(I think its possible from a wound??)
But I'm not a Doctor. IDKSAD

bubblez825

ive been bitten by the tip of the geckos mouth (60g female HY about 7 years old)and its strange....the wounds are so small sometimes, but WILL NOT STOP BLEEDING its like someone put a liquidizer in my bloodstream......LOL. ive been bitten on the tip of my finger and the side and in 2nd grade in the skin in between the pointer finger and thumb LOL all of them bled and didnt stop for a while

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
H.J., thanks for the tips. I was going to start a new thread to ask for advice on how to get a leo to open its mouth when its locked down FIRMLY. I'll keep the water spray in my mind, just hope I'll never have the need to use it. :)

p.s. I never tried hand feeding my geckos, I either put their food in a dish, or I tweezer feed them. I'm usually careful to not get biten, but just didn't expect this sweetie (below) will bite me while I try to kiss him...

Here is my little shark:
hardee_0606_01.jpg

Last edited:

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
APOLOGETIC?

H.J., thanks for the tips.
Here is my little shark:

hardee_0606_01.jpg

Well, if I wouldn't have seen your bite
I would say Ahhhhhhhh, sweet little loving guy..........
But instead I'm going call him a little Sht A.......
He does look a little APOLOGETIC .....but with a smurk of
cockyness about it.....take care, its a jungle out there. HJ

Kellyr

Libby a bite on your hand would not bleed that much unless it was on a sensitive spot like your knuckles where the skin is thin. And as Bonnie said its not that painful.. I have only bled a little .. but paper cuts hurt worse than a leo bite. ( I guess that depends ) But dont be scared to handle your little guy or gal.

nats

I guess I will continue to resist the temptation to plant a big
sloppy kiss on my geckos :main_laugh:

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
H.J., thanks for the tips. I was going to start a new thread to ask for advice on how to get a leo to open its mouth when its locked down FIRMLY. I'll keep the water spray in my mind, just hope I'll never have the need to use it. :)

p.s. I never tried hand feeding my geckos, I either put their food in a dish, or I tweezer feed them. I'm usually careful to not get biten, but just didn't expect this sweetie (below) will bite me while I try to kiss him...

Here is my little shark:
hardee_0606_01.jpg

Not So Inncoet . It look like he would say ,"Come closer and closer " xD

B

BioWorkZ

That's a horrible bite. Mental note: do not handle males consecutively.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Never underestimate Leos. I have had a couple of instances with two of my males. There was a considerable amount of my blood to clean up in the end. Those two are arch rivals. Be sure to wash your hands before and after handling Leos. I heard another story somewhere about a male Leo trying to mate with someone's hand after they had been handling females, bite and all. From what I read it was a mess, if you know what I mean.

greedo11

My leo greedo bit me by accident once, completely my fault I such a prat:main_rolleyes: , I held a locust for her to eat and she got my thumb. I was more worried about Greedos jaw! It was daft, i havent done it since. It felt just gummy, but the jaws were strong. She was about a year old so maybe the teeth were not fully developed.

Visit our friends