UVA/UVB supplemental lighting

awholeasszoo

I rescued a leopard gecko that came with a tank set up. I wanted to reduce the number of unnecessary wires so removed the red light bulb + another light to replace with a heat mat. I have just realised that the second light I removed is an Arcadia UVA/UVB bulb. My other Leo has never had any supplemental lighting in her tank for the 5+ years I've had her and she seems perfectly healthy, bearing in mind she has always been in a well lit room so gets plenty of natural UV I suppose? My new Leo is also in a well lit room facing a window that gets pretty decent sunlight so I was wondering if it would be wise to put the Arcadia light back in or if he will be fine without? And if so, what is the best way to use it? I.e. left on 24/7, switched on only at certain times etc

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Many people are now using these bulbs for leopard geckos and it sounds like it could be a good idea. My leopard geckos have no cage lighting and are managed through supplementation. I don't think that's a problem; it's been working fine for 20 years.

Aliza

Visit our friends