To Many Pretty Geckos

Desdemona

So, my rant, there are just too many geckos out there that I want and can't have! I saw a TUK Snow for sale on one site and was like, "ooooooh, I want him!" Then I peaked at the Classifieds (bad idea, I know) and saw the Mack Snow trio on there and was like, "Oooooh, I want them too!"

HA

Its a good thing I live someplace with limited space and a cat, otherwise I would have more geckos than I know what to do with in no time! You'll see me on one of those "Pet Collector" shows on Animal Planet where I'll look like a pathetic lunatic surrounded by animals whining into the camera, "But I love them all!"

haha

Ok, I'm over it..I think.... I want one more.. just one more....

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
It's always "just one more.." :p

Wait until you get into other species, once I started keeping cresties, fattails, ball pythons, leaf tails, etc, I ended up bringing in a new animal or two at least once a month, lol. In fact, I just got four new ball pythons today! There is no such thing as "enough" reptiles. ;)

Desdemona

hehe, Ok... so I have also been looking into Bearded Dragons after reading they were a lot more kid friendly. My son wants to hold the Leos but since two are newbies and the one I've had for a few months has serious nervousness issues he is not allowed (he is also only 2). Once I rearrange my room for his toddler bed (we room share... with the geckos as well) I will have room for a larger Beardie tank. I'd put it elsewhere but I don't want the cat to harass it.

So... we will see...

I did the same thing in college with rats/mice. I had them little buggers everywhere. Rats in my brother's and sister's rooms as well as my room being full of mouse cages. I had a lot more free time then, however.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Beardies are great for kids, they tolerate handling very well and are the perfect size; not so big they are intimidating but not so small they are delicate. They have great personalities too.

Having a large reptile collection is a lot different from keeping lots of mammals. Reptiles eat less often, need fewer cage cleanings, don't require interaction with their owners to be happy, and don't need as much mental stimulation. Even with 70+ animals I still find things very manageable, even with a full time job and my other hobbies, as well as two cats and colonies of roaches, super worms, and rats to take care of. It's all about balancing tasks so they get done but you don't feel overwhelmed on one particular day.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
:dizzy2:It's funny you mentioned that there was too many pretty geckos, and wanting them! Im having the same problem. I keep wanting to get all the ones I think are pretty, even though they dont fit into any o my breeding plans! If I keep collecting...I'll eventually be on hoarders!:p

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!! :dizzy2:

DoubleZ

Beardies are great for kids, they tolerate handling very well and are the perfect size; not so big they are intimidating but not so small they are delicate. They have great personalities too.

Most are great with kids. Just as with any other animal they all have unique personalities. Most I've met have been great though I do know a girl who has one that hates everyone but her. Pet store gave it to her for free it was so nasty.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Most are great with kids. Just as with any other animal they all have unique personalities. Most I've met have been great though I do know a girl who has one that hates everyone but her. Pet store gave it to her for free it was so nasty.

Of course there are always exceptions, but generally the species is laid back. That sort of thing can be avoided by making sure you select a docile animals, even though babies can be a bit spazzy, starting with a calmer one puts you on the right track, as with any species.

Desdemona

Well, I got one today, and its a half adult.. well about 12 inches long. It is incredibly chilled out, especially compared to the Leos (whom I still love since they are much prettier). He took him out of the cage and we petted her, she made no fuss at all. He then had her on her back for a bit wanting to be sure he sexed her right (though I said it wasn't a big deal because I wasn't planning on breeding or buying cage mates) and she didn't squirm or anything. Just sat through the whole thing like it was just another day. When I opened up the box after we got home she had fallen asleep, so I picked her up and put her in the enclosure. She looked around, but didn't seem stressed. I left her alone for the rest of the afternoon. This evening she was perched up on the log. My son wanted to see her, petted her back, plus I measured her and she didn't startle or anything. There is no way any of my geckos would have let me do that on the first day. The one petstore gecko I have wouldn't let me dream of that activity now and I've had her for about 3 months.

The store where we got the Beardie (not the same one I got my nervous gecko) had a whole host of geckos. I was like, "oooooooOOO" ha. Kid in a candy store. I like the leaf-tailed geckos. They are pretty cool looking.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Yep, that's how they are :). The only time I see mine get spunky, is when Im feeding him superworms (with crickets he just waits until they run by and he just sticks out his tongue and nabs them), but the supers I keep throwing them in different places and he runs to go get them :). The other time he gets active is when we let him run free around my sons room, that's the only time we get to see his black beard :)
But other than that, he's pretty lazy, and could care less if he's being held or not :). Your son (and you) will enjoy him.

Last edited:

Desdemona

Yea, it will be fun having a reptile I can handle more. Though I plan on taming the Leos as well, or at least attempting too. We will see. There are two that I am confident I can hand tame to some degree, but my third is pretty nervous.

prettyinpink

Beardies are great. The only thing that does get annoying is they don't move around much. Leos move constantly. I don't care but other people don't see what the big deal is. When they are babies, it's a lot like leos...except way more crazy, they don't sit still. I got mine just a week old.

Kirby loves crickets, I don't give them to him often because I hate them. So I bought some for him the other day and he just goes crazy for them, runs all over the place. He does the same for supers but they don't move as much as the crickets. Luckily he's not picky with his feeders anymore...he went off feeders for about 2months for me, annoyed the crap out of me. Now he's being stubborn and won't eat his salads. :main_rolleyes:

I'd get another in a heart-beat, just they take up SO much space...and babies, well they cost SO much to feed.

I'm sure you read everything about beardies since you don't have any questions...the only thing I would say is I noticed you said you put him on his back, you could've meant not all the way though. Beardies can't be on their backs like leos can, they can't breath right when they are.

Annnd congrats! :) Sorry for my rant :p

Visit our friends