Testing Your Collection for Cryptosporidium

favrielle

Crypto is a coccidian disease that can spread like wildfire and if left unchecked could decimate entire collections of leopard geckos as it has already done in the past. It sounds like a nightmare, but it is also a very frightening reality. I recently had a brush with this disease, and wanted to share a very valuable resource that leopard gecko keepers may not know is out there – PCR testing through an independent laboratory known as Avian Biotech International, aka Animal Genetics Inc.

I’m not going to rehash the details of Cryptosporidium infection in geckos or the importance of quarantine, as many more experienced keepers have already done a wonderful job, far better than I could do here. If you would like to learn more about the disease, preventing its transmission, and current promising studies on treatment, see the links at the bottom of this post.

My purpose here is to explain the basic process for submitting samples to a specific laboratory, Avian Biotech, for polymerase chain reaction testing, or PCR. This testing has the benefit of being more accurate than a standard fecal smear or float under a microscope, and can be done without bringing your entire collection in to see a veterinarian. At $24.50 per test, it is also relatively inexpensive.

Here is a step-by-step description of the process, which I just recently completed myself:

1)
Visit the Avian Biotech, Int’l website at http://www.avianbiotech.com/OrderCenter.htm and order collection kits. These kits are free, and you will need one for each sample you intend to send. The kits needed are the swabs, which come in individual ziplock-style baggies and have a pre-printed label on each of them for you to fill out. They will also come with a copy of the required submission form, which can be found online here: http://www.avianbiotech.com/avian.pdf

2)
Once the collection kits arrive, usually within a few days, you will need to fill out the label on each baggie. For leopard geckos, put Species: Eublepharis macularius (or the subspecies/related Eublepharid species name). Also fill out the Name or ID line with something that will indicate to you which animal the sample came from. I used a letter/number combination for each of my animals or groups, but you can use anything that will help you distinguish between samples when you receive the results.

3)
Next, fill out the information on the submission form. Your account number can be found on the address label from the envelope you received your kits in. Since the form is formatted for use with birds, it will require a couple of changes for submitting leopard gecko samples. First, there is no column in which to indicate your need for Cryptosporidium testing. You will need to add a column for Crypto to the right of the existing disease test columns. Second, as leopard geckos are not banded, you will need to leave the Bird ID (Leg Band #) column blank. Fill out the form with the Label ID # for each collection kit, found on the right side of the pre-printed label next to the bar code, plus the species and the name or ID of the animal(s).

4)
Before collecting any samples, wash your hands. Also wash your hands between each separate sample collected. I cannot stress this enough! You want to eliminate any chance of contamination from the environment or cross-contamination between different animals’ or group’s samples. Alternatively (and possibly ideally) wear disposable gloves and change between samples.

5)
Now for the sample collection itself. You want to collect fresh feces, the fresher the better. Use the sterile swab to help get your sample(s) into the bag. In the case of a group housing sample, you might also want to swab around the communal “poo area,” wherever that is, before placing the swab in the bag. If you are testing multiple animals that are not housed together on one test, combine their fecal samples together. Be sure to seal the bag completely with as little air as possible. If you need to wait for an animal/group to produce enough feces to collect or need to wait until a weekday to ship them, store ALL already-collected samples in the refrigerator until you are ready to send them out.

6)
Once you have your labels written, your samples collected, and the submission form filled out, you need to figure your total balance due and decide on a payment method. Add up the number of test kits you’re submitting, multiply by $24.50, and write that amount on the Total Payment line. Indicate on the checkboxes which payment method you have chosen (Check, Money Order, Credit Card payment, or PayPal) and if necessary, include your payment information. You can also order additional free testing kits at the bottom of the form.

7)
Before you mail your form and kits, keep in mind that it might be a good idea to make a copy of the form or write down the information for each sample in your records.

8)
Place the form and samples (and payment, if included) in a padded envelope and mail it. The samples may be sent through USPS Priority Mail or Overnight services, depending on time constraints. A flat rate padded Priority Mail envelope is ideal for sending in multiple samples if you aren’t in a hurry and will cost you only $5.95.

9)
Upon receipt of your samples (and payment, if included), Avian Biotech will send you an email confirmation. You may then call them or reply to the email to request a password for your account, which will be necessary to access your disease testing results online. Assuming there are no delays, your results should be available within a couple of business days. You can log in using your account number and password at http://www.avianbiotech.com/ResultsX.htm. Official results can also be mailed or faxed to you.

10)
VERY IMPORTANT: After you collect your samples and until you get your results, you should do everything you can to avoid cross-contamination between animals and groups. A negative result will be worthless if the animal or animals tested have been exposed to Crypto in the interval between sample collection and receiving your results! Maintain very strict quarantine and hand-washing procedures, and do not share uneaten feeders, dishes, hides, or anything between tested animals/groups! There may be hope on the horizon regarding a cure, but at the moment it is not publically available and Crypto is still an incurable, readily transmissible, horribly devastating disease. You do NOT want to risk spreading it accidentally!

If you have any other questions about the process, or if I’ve missed any details, feel free to ask on this post or to PM me. I’m happy to help! As for what to do if you receive a positive result or results, that's a whole other topic and worthy of a whole other post, to be forthcoming soon. :)

Links and Resources for Further Reading:

The main website for Avian Biotech International: Avian Services Center: DNA sexing and disease testing for all species of birds.

An animation of how PCR testing works can be found here:
http://pathology2.jhu.edu/molec/techniques_main.cfm##

Marcia McGuiness has written an excellent article on Crypto that can be found here:
http://www.goldengategeckos.com/crypto.htm

For an overview of reptile parasites, crypto included, see this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Reptile-Parasites-Herpetocultural-Library-ebook/dp/B009KSJXNS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1391620618&sr=1-1&keywords=understanding+reptile+parasites

A online radio show recently covered possible advances in the treatment of Crypto:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/latenightleos/2013/12/08/lnl-talks-kill-crypto-with-pat-kline-of-luxurious-leopards

--Angela Smith, Gamer Geckos--

Ophiomancer

Thanks for this excellent post! I have ordered my swabs, and am preparing to test my collection. It's nerve-wracking, but I would still rather know than not know.

randomjack420

great article. I read about what happened with the leo you got that had it and that is just terrible. watching my collection very closely right now for any signs. I would hate to have to start over after the amount of time and money that i have invested.

Visit our friends