Tail rot?

soytnly

liz.jpg I just noticed tonight that my leopard gecko's tail is rotting. She hasn't eaten for a few weeks now, which I figured was due to the winter coming on. I noticed what looked like a scab on the bottom half of her tail a week or so ago and just assumed it was an odd shedding issue. I see that it is open and sore, the bottom half. Can I do something about this myself? I know the response from many would be to take her to the vet...I did that a year ago for an eye infection and it cost well over $100...I can't do that again. We recently got a puppy, which is definitely 'my thing' if you will...but in any case I don't have the funds for a reptile vet. I may have to put her down I realize, but wonder if there's anything I can do such as antibiotic ointment etc. Before anybody gets too upset, I should say that I'm a single parent and faithfully pay child support, and am raising my two daughters...there just isn't anything left for a vet. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the response, and I may have to find someone to take it. I don't equate a lizard with a dog in terms of priority...I realize they're both living creatures, but I ate formerly living creatures for dinner...everything fits in somewhere on the continuum. I've always been a very responsible pet owner, having had mainly dogs. The lizard was for my kids when we weren't in a spot that we could have a dog. I don't live with my parents and have a carefree lifestyle...I've had a lifetime full of responsibilities, which I've done my best to meet, ever since I move out of the house at 19, joined the army and moved overseas. Pretty sure I have it figured out.

Last edited:

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
To sum up probable responses to this:
1) Take it to a vet.
2) Rehome it with someone who can take it to a vet.
3) Post pictures of the wound.

I'll go with #2. Find it someone who can give it the medical attention it needs. A friend. Humane society. Pet rescue. Reptile society. The vet themself. Etc. Preferably before the animal is too far gone to save.

I could understand not being able to afford several thousand dollar surgery, but $100-$200 vet trips should be expected when you own a pet. If you can't afford that, IMO you shouldn't have the pet. Same with the puppy.

Best of luck to the gecko. Hope it has a quick healing.

cassicat4

I can also tell you that if your options, in your mind, are pay for a trip to the vet for antibiotics vs. euthanasia, that the cost for euthanasia will be almost as much as the antibiotics itself. If you're not willing or are unable to get vet intervention, then I agree with the above OP - give the gecko to someone who can, and don't invest in any more reptiles until you are able to afford to care for them, whatever that entails.

I'm concerned about your situation, because I can tell you, I own two cats and used to own a dog, and any vet visit for any of those guys, even for just a checkup, costs WAY more than any visit I've ever had to the herp vet. How are you going to afford to take your dog to the vet for even annual shots or checkups?

A picture of your gecko's would be helpful though in case it is something minor. It doesn't sound good, but it'd still be interesting to see. It could be a injury, in which case daily soaks in diluted Betadine and applying polysporin/neosporin (without pain reliever) to the wound may help it heal.

If it is tail rot and it becomes necrotic, you only have a short period of time before it can lead to sepsis and ultimately death.

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
$100?
Thats a cheap vet visit. Regardless, dont be selfish. Theres a difference between being too poor and not wanting to spend the money. You shouldnt own any animals if you arent willing to spend money to help them when theyre sick and injured.
That poor gecko is suffering and NEEDS assistance, NOT by you at HOME.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but its the truth. Theres nothing you can do at home. You arent a doctor. You cant prescribe yourself medications and NO ONE here can give you an accuracte diagnosis. You would rather euthanize it than pay to get it meds and have it potentially live for 10 more years? Sick.:main_thumbsdown:

God forbid your new puppy, who is already more important than a pet you had first, gets sick and needs vet care. Or would you spend money on the puppy?
Puppies are very expensive. You'll spend well over $500+ in its first year. You should give the puppy back, you cant afford to give it what it needs.

Last edited:

cassicat4

That looks bad. :(

Please find someone to take the gecko. There are plenty of rescues that are in the business of taking unwanted/uncared for animals, no questions asked. Even if you don't value its life in comparison to a dog, and even if you "ate formerly living creatures" before, that's a lot different than allowing something to suffer and possibly die because you don't care enough for it to get it proper care.

Guess what: I've had a dog before, and discovered I am not a dog person. They are not my "thing". So I adopted her out to a loving home, but not before investing the money to ensure her shots were up to date and she was healthy. Because as long as she was in my care, I was responsible for her, whether I wanted to be or not.

Embrace Calamity

I like how you're trying to convince us that you're a responsible person while you're letting your gecko's tail rot. Good job.

Just give it to a rescue. If you're not willing to shell out the money to prevent the poor thing from rotting alive, then you shouldn't have it.

~Maggot

Ozy

I like how you're trying to convince us that you're a responsible person while you're letting your gecko's tail rot. Good job.

Just give it to a rescue. If you're not willing to shell out the money to prevent the poor thing from rotting alive, then you shouldn't have it.

~Maggot

For real. I agree with Maggot and Katie. I think it's funny how you are trying to "prove" your responsibility. Tells me that even YOU feel guilty about it. Are you trying to convince yourself. or us? Because the only thing I'M convinced of is that if you can't afford vet bills you shouldn't have pets. PERIOD. Dogs, cats, reptiles, whatever. I think it's SICK how you place a gecko's life over that dog's life. Really? So one living thing is more important than another? Don't give us that whole food chain, circle of life crap. Just give it to someone or a rescue that will take care of it, since it's not that important to you. While you are at it, why not give them your puppy too so that it can get spayed/neutered and have it's shots like it's supposed to have. You'd just let it die of parvo or something. SICK SICK SICK!!! Before anyone gets too upset?!?! How can you expect us NOT to get upset when you post a picture of your gecko's rotting tail and then say.. Well I'm not going to take it to the vet because geckos aren't "my thing" You just got it so your kids could have a pet and now that you have a puppy the gecko doesn't even matter anymore. PETS ARE FOR LIFE!

Last edited:

Lindz0518

I can only imagine the poor things living conditions that have allowed it to get an eye infection and now it's tail is slowly rotting away. Also that it's not been eating for a few weeks and you noticed the tail a week ago and have just got concerned now. Common sense is so rare nowadays.

BeeBopper

That looks pretty bad...you really should re-home it with someone who won't look at it as just a reptile and gives it the love and care it obviously needs....

Fatal_S

Mel's Exotics
I eat meat too. Doesn't mean I'm okay with any animal (wild, pet, for meat, etc) living a tortured life and dying slowly and in pain. Just because you're okay with an animal dying doesn't mean you should be okay with it dying in pain.

I am glad to hear you plan to rehome it. Please do so ASAP. The faster it gets to a vet the better it's chances of surviving are, and the less time it have to suffer. Just call the vet, say "I have a gecko who needs medical help. I can't afford it. Do you or anyone you know of take animals, help them, and find them better homes?" Keep trying until someone agrees to take it, then get it to them right away. You owe it at least that much.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
View attachment 54742

Thanks for the response, and I may have to find someone to take it. I don't equate a lizard with a dog in terms of priority...I realize they're both living creatures, but I ate formerly living creatures for dinner...everything fits in somewhere on the continuum. I've always been a very responsible pet owner, having had mainly dogs. The lizard was for my kids when we weren't in a spot that we could have a dog. I don't live with my parents and have a carefree lifestyle...I've had a lifetime full of responsibilities, which I've done my best to meet, ever since I move out of the house at 19, joined the army and moved overseas. Pretty sure I have it figured out.

Wahh wah.
I BOUGHT my own house at 21 with my own hard earned money. I bought my own car, bought my own clothes, bought my own food, BOUGHT EVERYTHING. Nothing was given to me. Does that make it okay to buy a gecko and let it rot in its tank? NO!!!

You eat meat, so its okay to let this gecko suffer? Are you crazy? Seriously. High maybe?

We have all had a lifetime of responsiblities, you however still havent learned yours.
Get rid of all your pets, youre just teaching your children its okay to abuse and neglect them because you can. Teaching them how to be irresponsible, empathly lacking individuals. This really infuriates me.

What if it were the other way around? I have a dog, but its not my "thing". I recenetly got a gecko and dont want to bring my dog to the vet. Could, but dont want to. My dogs tail is physically rotting away. Oh well. I'm a hard working person so its all good. Disgusting. Id I knew where you lived id be making two very important phone calls.

Last edited:

Visit our friends