Soon to be new reptile owner!!

holdfasthope87

Hello everyone! I’m a soon to be gargoyle gecko owner, and I couldn’t be more excited!

I wanted to ask a question here since it got missed in the new enclosure thread. I’m planning on getting my very first gecko next weekend, so this weekend I will be building a bioactive home for my new pal!

My current plan is to have the clay ball drainage layer, substrate mesh, and a mix of reptisoil, eco earth, spagnum moss, and leaves on top. Is this a good mixture, and will it aerate properly with and occasional fork mixing?

Also, as far as securing climbing cork bark and grapevine branch, do you recommend gorilla gluing before laying the substrate? Or should I just lay the wood in securely and trust that it will be fine?

Lastly, what is the best position to place the thermometer/hygrometer? (I am using the exoterra 18x18x24)

Appreciate any and all feedback/recommendations!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congrats on your gargoyle gecko plans. You can use the substrate you're planning on. An easier alternative is to get the substrate that doesn't require a drainage layer from Joshsfrogs.com. If you have trouble finding it, send them an email; they're very responsive. I have the traditional clay ball drainage layer in my older enclosures but my 2 newest ones use the stuff from Josh's frogs and it's been fine. I don't glue anything to my enclosures because I want to maintain flexibility. I just lay the cork bark at an angle. If it falls over, as it does periodically, it's very light and no one has any problems. I use a fake vine as a support for any plants I may use. My gargoyle geckos also really like the magnet ledges.

Aliza

SnowBallsMaMa

Hello everyone! I’m a soon to be gargoyle gecko owner, and I couldn’t be more excited!

I wanted to ask a question here since it got missed in the new enclosure thread. I’m planning on getting my very first gecko next weekend, so this weekend I will be building a bioactive home for my new pal!

My current plan is to have the clay ball drainage layer, substrate mesh, and a mix of reptisoil, eco earth, spagnum moss, and leaves on top. Is this a good mixture, and will it aerate properly with and occasional fork mixing?

Also, as far as securing climbing cork bark and grapevine branch, do you recommend gorilla gluing before laying the substrate? Or should I just lay the wood in securely and trust that it will be fine?

Lastly, what is the best position to place the thermometer/hygrometer? (I am using the exoterra 18x18x24)

Appreciate any and all feedback/recommendations!

SnowBallsMaMa

Hi ! And exciting! I have mine on both side wall and I have a digital probe thermometer in the middle . For me you can never have too many thermometers and humidity gauge so I know they are working and accurate I make sure they have the same reading. I have leopard geckos IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg
This is my set up for one of the kids 36x18x18 ecoflex Mojave maple tank and yes she sleeps on the giraffe bed . IMG_2930.jpeg IMG_2900.jpeg IMG_2930.jpeg IMG_2900.jpeg IMG_2912.jpeg IMG_2912.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That's a lovely habitat for a leopard gecko but note that this poster is getting a gargoyle gecko,

Aliza

Visit our friends