Screen Gecko Habitat - Opinions?

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I wanted to get my crestie a bigger cage for Christmas, but I've found that the larger glass aquariums are too heavy for me to lift regularly so I don't think it would get cleaned as well/often. I started looking at the screen cages since they should weigh less. My only concern would be maintaining humidity. Has anyone used these? How do you like them?

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Fresh-S...EONC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1322439779&sr=8-7

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I haven't used one myself but I know friends who use them religiously for chameleons. You would have a hard time maintaining humidity. You'd probably have to mist much more often...

jfreemo75

3 Year Member
I wanted to get my crestie a bigger cage for Christmas, but I've found that the larger glass aquariums are too heavy for me to lift regularly so I don't think it would get cleaned as well/often. I started looking at the screen cages since they should weigh less. My only concern would be maintaining humidity. Has anyone used these? How do you like them?

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Fresh-S...EONC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1322439779&sr=8-7

We use these exact ones for our cresteds. We did modify them and added plexiglass on 3 sides, but they work just as well without, as long as you mist at least twice a day. I only spray at night since we added the sides. You could always add contact paper, or something that doesn't soak up water, to a couple of the sides if you can't keep the humidity up. If not, just keep track of when they shed, because that is when they need the most humidity.

Taiga

3 Year Member
What size tank is he in now?
I have seen cresties kept in all screen cages before with very little problems. What I usually suggest is go to a Home Depot, Lowes, or any home improvement store, and as jfreemo said, glue some plastic sheets or plexi glass on the sides to keep more humidity in, and to prevent water from spraying all over your wall! :) It is cheap and light, easy to carry.

I highly suggest these cages http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...riums-reptarium-accessories-and-explorariums/ they are much cheaper and light weight than anything zilla or zoomed makes, in my experience.

Cresties do not need as much humidity as, say, a Chahoua or Sarasinorum, it is more for them to drink and aid in shedding than anything. But better safe than sorry!

Can't wait to see photos of him in the new cage! :)

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions! He's in a 10 gallon now, which he's been fine with, but I want something better for him . I have a foam rock background to put in the back, and I'll probably get contact paper or something else for the sides. I'm super excited; I love decorating reptile cages! Kai's excited too, he just doesn't know it yet. ;)

Visit our friends