Posting just because

Do you do this?

• Yes I do it all the time.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Yes I do this, so what?

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • No, I try to limit my posts to things I know about.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • I've done this but try not to.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No I never do this.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I have done it, though I definitely try to avoid it and the instances where it's come up are comparatively rare. I usually make a conscious effort to make the distinction clear, when I am talking about something I do not know as well; explain that it's from limited experience, explain that it's something I remember reading, explain that it's an educated guess, explain that it's an opinion. Something that makes it apparent I am not presenting facts.

Good poll, though I'm not sure how many people will answer it. Or answer it honestly.

JordanAng420

I have done it, though I definitely try to avoid it and the instances where it's come up are comparatively rare. I usually make a conscious effort to make the distinction clear, when I am talking about something I do not know as well; explain that it's from limited experience, explain that it's something I remember reading, explain that it's an educated guess, explain that it's an opinion. Something that makes it apparent I am not presenting facts.

Good poll, though I'm not sure how many people will answer it. Or answer it honestly.

I agree, maybe if it was a hidden poll rather than a public one, you might get more honest answers.

I've done it too, but I certainly try not to if I don't know about the subject.

Sometimes I just can't manage to keep my mouth shut though. It tends to really get me in trouble...but it doesn't happen often.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I try to only reply to questions that I know I can help with or that ask for opinions. If I don't know something, I'm not going to make it up just to post. I get so annoyed by people that answer questions wrong and give bad advice.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I get so annoyed by people that answer questions wrong and give bad advice.

I get that. I very much get that. That's a big motivating factor for my sometimes less than affable and happy posting style; irritation at those who clearly do not know something, but insist on putting out misinformation, misleading information, spreading rumors and telling lies.

Sometimes I almost kind of get it, people relaying something they heard, something they sort of remember reading... they're trying to be helpful and it's not really their fault that they trusted a source. That's the kind of stuff I usually surround with those modifying warnings.

Sometimes it is so egregiously wrong though... we've got a thread going on right now where someone found a crocodile gecko. They posted a photo and got an ID. That thread contains one person who said it was a bearded dragon and another who says that the care is identical to that of a leo. It's mind boggling to me that anyone could possibly feel that confident about being that obviously wrong.

Maybe it's got something to do with the way information was treated when I was growing up, when I was in school. Right and wrong were things that were enforced, people were almost never praised for participation. People were encouraged to try, to make mistakes... but those mistakes were viewed as things to learn from so that they weren't repeated, not something to revel in and continue doing over and over with no effort to correct. Except that theory goes out the window when it's people my age who pull this nonsense.

I once witnessed an internet exchange wherein a man got into an argument with a fairly well known quasi-authority on a subject... and then misquoted her own website at her in an attempt to prove her wrong. It is as though the idea of respecting knowledge... hard won, knowledge that has resulted from work and effort and genuine study and experimentation... has disappeared entirely, and everyone feels confident walking around saying whatever the hell happens to pop into their head as if it has the same inherent value as the good stuff.

It's... infuriating. Compounded because a lot of the time it is being presented to other people who don't know enough to sort the good from the bad. It just gets perpetuated.

Last edited:

Desdemona

I "try" not too, though I will admit that if I see the "no answer" post and it seems like something that needs a answer I feel obligated to help. I have a horrible sense of "need to help." Though, like it was mentioned before, I always try to say where it's coming from... if I am not 100%. It is a good way to test your knowledge though, have someone come by and say, "no it's this way." I do think its wrong to act like you really do know when you don't have a clue. Someone could be using your bad advice.

I also have a bad habit of playing devil's advocate, but not so much on this board. I've posted on non-pet related boards and pissed off some people, hehe. I've even had people on "my" side in some topics go WTF? I don't think in the main stream with most topics though.

Visit our friends