Perlite

bittner_344

www.theurbanreptile.com
Hey guys, i was just wondering here who uses perlite to incubate there eggs? i got a bag of it today to try it out, and i just wanted to hear everyones oppinion on it. i currently use vermiculite right now. just want to see what is better.
thanks
brett

PrototypeGeckos

I use Perlite now, I like it for holding moisture but I don't like how it has some pretty larger pieces in there, it makes it difficult to bury the eggs correctly. I thought about either putting the perlite in a back and smashing it up a little or switching to Vermiculite (opposite of what you are doing). What are the problems you are having with the Vermiculite?

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
We've used both vermiculite and perlite issue free. This is our first year using perlite and we really like it. We respray a quick coating every other week or so when using either type. It's because of our tubs. We use the shipping deli cups to incubate which aren't super air tight like a tupperware containers. It's also works out nice that when we spray we also refresh the air in the tubs. You'll just have to keep an eye on them and see what works for you.

ShaffersExoticHerps

Mike Shaffer Reptiles
I use Perlite. I have had nothing but good luck with it. I mix 60 grams of Perlite in a container. Then I spray it with water evenly until it reaches 108 grams. A 1 to .8 ratio. I use this for 3 clutches and never rewater. I guess it's all in what you prefer.:)

Visit our friends