new to crested gecko's, please help

Geckolover122

hello there, i am a person with zero reptile experience who is looking to change that with a crested gecko!

but i need to know some things first

1. i am afraid of most insects with some exceptions, usually worms are the exception, can crested geckos be fed food that isn't insects?

2. if no, can they eat mealworms, which i do feel comfortable with?

3. how often should one handle them?

4. any tips for the enclosure?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! Here are my answers to your questions:
1,2. There are now crested gecko diets (CGD) that include powdered insects in the recipe. I know Pangea makes this. So you could feed the CGD with the powdered insects and not have to deal with live ones.

3. I find that the juveniles are more skittish than the adults but can benefit from being "socialized" to being handled. Once the gecko has settled in, plan to hold it for just a few minutes at a time. Start by holding it over the cage so if it jumps you don't have to chase it across the floor. Make a little cave with your hand, scoop it up from the bottom and let it sit there. If it wants to walk around, let it go from hand to hand, kind of like a gecko treadmill.

4. If you get a very young and small crestie, it may do well to start in a small enclosure. when I was breeding cresties I would use a 6qt shoebox sized tub with a coconut shell for a hide, a small bowl for water and one for CGD and a piece of cork bark or bamboo that I leaned on the top of the hide. This way the crestie has a secure place to hide and a place to climb.
I have found that a 12x12x18" enclosure is too small for an adult crestie. I think the minimum size should be 18x1818 and, better yet, 18x18x24.

Aliza

Visit our friends