Need help with genetics

hawkesa1

Hello, I'm new here and new to breeding. I have a female pastel radar and a male murphy's patternless carrot tail leopard gecko. I am also new to genetics, so If i breed them together I'm trying to figure out what I'll get. I need some help from someone who really understands genetics and/or has been breeding leopard geckos a lot. Thank you!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's late at night for me so I'm not going to provide a full answer. To make a start on this, be sure you understand the terms "dominant" "recessive" "co-dominant" and "line-bred" or "polygenetic". Here's an article that will help you get started on this:
Once you have the terms figured out, be aware that the murphy's patternless is recessive,
The Radar is a combination of Bell Albino (recessive) and eclipse (recessive)
The pastel and carrot tail are line bred

If you can put all that together, you'll be able to figure out what you have and if you can do it on your own, it will be much more fulfilling and useful than someone just telling you what you'll get.

Aliza

hawkesa1

Thank you! I have been trying to find on the internet if a lizard can be "het" to more than one morph. I drew it out but I don't know if it's accurate.

N = normal
mp = murphey's patternless
r = radar
e = eclipse

Sorry if my writing is hard to read:

0-1.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Assuming that neither of your geckos have recessive genes that you can't see (for example, that the patternless does not have a single gene for albino), you're going to get all normal geckos that have one gene for albino, eclipse and murphy's patternless. Some of them may also be pastel colored or have more orange in their tails. The only way to get anything interesting, is to breed the nicest offspring back to one of the parents (this is OK with leopard geckos). If you breed the offspring back to the Radar, you'll get some leopard geckos that are Radars. If you breed offspring back to the patternless, yo'll get some geckos that are murphys patternless. Make sense?

Aliza

hawkesa1

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you. They are both homozygous for either radar or patternless, and I understand that normal is dominant so if I bred the patternless with the radar that's what I would get because one is normal for eyes and the other is normal for pattern. Also I have a young eclipse and since they are both recessive (the radar and eclipse) they would combine to make a radar eclipse. Is that correct?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A Radar is essentially a Bell Albino eclipse (so "radar eclipse" is redundant). If the young eclipse has no albino gene, all the offspring of eclipse x Radar would be eclipse and they'd all be het for Bell Albino.

Aliza

Visit our friends