Leo Tail Injury- HELP!

Gecko Mom

Hey guys! I'm new here and looking for advice. My four ish month old leo is having tail trouble... It started as a little red nip kind of thing at the very tip of her tail, and in a week it's turned into this... I don't know how bad it is or what to do, I'm a first time reptile owner. Help!

Attachments

• 39C56BC7-4DE9-4327-A499-A8D946C17478.jpeg
    39C56BC7-4DE9-4327-A499-A8D946C17478.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 11

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The end of the tail "died", which is not a big deal. That withered end will drop off and a new tail tip will grow. It's just the very tip of the tail so the new tip may be a little less pointy but it will look fine. This may have happened for a number of reasons: the tail tip may have gotten constricted by some tight shed and/or the gecko may have pulled it off too hard and bitten itself; it may have gotten the tail stuck somewhere and injured it getting free; there may be a hot spot inside the hot hide and it got burned (I think the first possibility is the most likely).
The thing to watch out for is if the damage continues up the tail and/or if there are red streaks moving up the tail. In this case, you'll need to find a reptile vet and book and appointment.

Aliza

Gecko Mom

The end of the tail "died", which is not a big deal. That withered end will drop off and a new tail tip will grow. It's just the very tip of the tail so the new tip may be a little less pointy but it will look fine. This may have happened for a number of reasons: the tail tip may have gotten constricted by some tight shed and/or the gecko may have pulled it off too hard and bitten itself; it may have gotten the tail stuck somewhere and injured it getting free; there may be a hot spot inside the hot hide and it got burned (I think the first possibility is the most likely).
The thing to watch out for is if the damage continues up the tail and/or if there are red streaks moving up the tail. In this case, you'll need to find a reptile vet and book and appointment.

Aliza
mmmmmm thank you so much. i was really worried because it was spreading so fast. I can't be sure exactly what caused it, the red mark was there when i got her, but there were flecks of she'd so i think you're right. It fell off today, so i changed her tank to paper towel substrate cause it's an "open wound"... fingers crossed shes okay

Visit our friends