LAY BOX???

D

Dani51707

Ok so heres the deal i am 90% sure my female is gravid and going to lay any time now. the question tho is i made a lay box with verticute and she has an issue when i put her in it she just kept licking it and eating it. what should i do to stop this i took it out completely because its not good for her. she wont eat right now i tried crickets mealworms superworms and wax worm nothing gets her to eat right now. and then i put her in lay box and she starts eating it! im confused what else can i make a laybox out of so she doesnt eat it

D

Dani51707

My girls use their moist hide with paper towels in it.

see i was thinking about that but i thought they had a natural instinct to dig and bury the eggs some what. and thought it might be cruel to have he digging in paper towels..lol

Gregg M

Registered Member
The best lay box substrate in my opinion is coconut fiber aka Bed A Beast or Eco Earth...
There is almost no danger of impaction and it holds himidity well...

Paper towels as a humid hide substrate is great for non breeding geckos and males...
For a lay box, there should be something to dig in because reptiles pick their lay spot based on temps, humidity, and soild type... If a reptile in captivity can not find a proper lay spot they will either retain them or lay them in a water dish or some other unfit spot in the cage...

Visit our friends