Is something wrong with his tail?

chrisjohn85

This is my new AFT, about a year or so old. I've had him since the fall, and he is adorable. It took him a while to get used to me, but now at night he comes up to the side of his enclosure and wants to walk up my hand and arm. However, a few sheds ago I noticed that his tail started to change color. Does this look healthy? I'm kinda freaking out, but otherwise he is behaving normal. He poops, eats and is active within the normal parameters. Any ideas? Thank you!
IMG_2472.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you mean it's getting whiter at the tip? If so, I think that's part of its coloring and if it's a young adult it still could be developing.

Aliza

chrisjohn85

Do you mean it's getting whiter at the tip? If so, I think that's part of its coloring and if it's a young adult it still could be developing.

Aliza
Yes, I know that he is an oreo morph, but wasn't sure if it looked like tail rot to anyone.

KatieG

Is it still velvety to the touch? Or does It feel dry and not right on the end where the color is different? Because it looks like it's just his true colors coming out by the picture.

KatieG

I'd say that's probably a good sign. I'm not a vet or anything but it's probably just his colors. If anything changes and it looks like its not right I'd go get him checked out but he's probably good just turning into his adult self.

chrisjohn85

Thanks everyone. I'm still pretty new to the reptile hobby, and I want to give this little dude the best life that I can.

chrisjohn85

Is it still velvety to the touch? Or does It feel dry and not right on the end where the color is different? Because it looks like it's just his true colors coming out by the picture.
I felt his tail tonight, and it is dry and harder at the very end of the tail. Should I get him checked out?

chrisjohn85

I felt his tail tonight, and it is dry and harder at the very end of the tail. Should I get him checked out?
It looked like some previous shed was stuck on the end of the tail. I soaked him in warm water for roughly 20 minutes and skin started to come off. The tail is still hard on the end, but the stuck shed is gone.

KatieG

I'd say it can't hurt to be safe. Just to make sure he's good. My Aft's tail is so soft all the way down so I kind of figured they'd all be that way. So it really can't hurt to have someone look at it for you.

Visit our friends