Is it normal for young albino leopard geckos to have red irises??

Tim Braxma

34725_3849323156281_1926354423_n.jpg

I hatched this Tremper Albino out about 5 months ago with still.. the same looking eyes. I was told that the red pupils will eventually go away and turn black, but if thats true then how long will that take because she's already just about half a year old. ** also the red pupils show up in the dark as well**

-Thanks

Last edited:

bubblez825

The red pupils will NOT go away. if it has red eyes, its from the ALBINO GENE it carries. since its tremper albino, as a result of that as well as any other "hidden traits" it will always have reddish/orangish/rusty colored eyes, even as an adult. Whatever it's genetics are, it was a code for red eyes and thats not going to change :main_laugh:

DrCarrotTail

I'm kinda new to this and not 100% sure of my answer, but I think it looks like your gecko is eclipse as well as albino. The eclipse gene causes solid black in non-albino geckos and red in albinos. I'm not sure if its that way for all types of albino or just Tremper. I know there's some degree of variation in the clarity of the eye outside the iris. My RAPTOR has about 25% of one eye that looks like the white in your picture. Maybe someone more experienced could chime in and clarify/confirm if my thinking is in the right direction?

Nice looking baby!

Visit our friends