How many?

So this is just a simple quistion that my mom wanted me to ask before i get one. How many leos should you get? I have seen a lot of people only have one... But there is also people who say they are very social. I read a book that said just don't get to males. I don't really know if it is ok to get to or if its not ok to not have to? So I would like is if I could have a lot of replys on advice! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

DrCarrotTail

From what I have read they are not social and prefer to live alone so IMO you should only get one if you want a happy, healthy pet. If you plan to keep more than one leopard gecko in the same tank they should be all females that are close to the same size. Males can harass and stress the females and they should not be kept together long-term. You will also need to be very vigilant to prevent dominance issues and be prepared to separate them if the need arises. Lastly, unless the geckos were living together before you purchased them, you should quarantine them in separate enclosures for at least 60 days.

SC Geckos

+ 1 ^^
I would recommend starting with one. That way you can get use to the care and maintenance of one animal. I would recommend looking into getting a gecko from a breeder and not the pet store. You will get a much happier and healthier animal from a breeder. It will save you a bunch of potential problem down the road. good luck.

Visit our friends