Votes: 64 25.3%

Votes: 43 17.0%

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 20 7.9%

• Total voters
T

The Gecko Guy

Just curious to see how many leo geckos people put per cage.

OSUgecko

How many geckos you put in each tank should be directly related to how large the tank is, not to personal preference.

T

The Gecko Guy

I know but some people have a personal prefrence. Like a 20gal long can hold 1-3 depending on how much space you want to give your geckos

S

SteveB

It's a little of both. My first gecko ever had a standard 20 Long all to herself even after I had every other gecko in a rack.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
Depends on the tank size. We have two large adults in a 29 which has the same demensions as a 20 long. We could fit another one in there...but one gecko to a 20 L is very comfy for them...But when you run out of space like many of us do, a few of the same size in a 20 L will be fine.

S

SteveB

Generally, I'd say a good rule of thumb is 1 adult in the footprint of a 10 gallon tank. The more room the better, though.

T

terrilg

Depends of the size of the tank and sex of the leos. 1 per 10 gallon tank is the general rule. Only 1 male per tank.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
There are more factors to consider than just the size of the enclosure and the size/gender of the geckos. Given the potential risks and concerns, I don't think it's fair for anyone to take chances on anyone else's "rule of thumb." Some geckos just aren't going to cohabitate well together. I have had two females who want to kill each other in a 32 quart blanket box, but I also have five retired breeder females in a tank in my office that's probably less than two square feet (it's hexagonal thus harder to measure) and they get along great.

GoGo

I'm Watching You
You should only go by experience with your geckos, not someone else's rule of thumb, like stitch and paul said. Sure you can hold 1 male and 1 female or 2 females in a 20g/20long, but that doesn't mean it will be good for them or that they'll get along. We recently had to split up 2 juvie females that had been togeather all their life because one got bigger then the other and bullying over food followed, even though they both had plenty of food and water and were in a 40g breeder. On the other hand, we have a 30g with 1 male and 2 females who get along perfectly and do well.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
supperl said:
just for interest, whats the size of an 20 gl tank most of you talk about(lenght depth high)
THX

The 20 gallon long tank (in inches) is 30 inches long, 12 inches deep and 12 inches high.

Aliza

I

Inlovewithherps

It depends on the situation.
I house 1 male,1 female together in a 40 gallon breeder because they won't eat when I seperate them. I got a second female because I heard that you should keep more than 1 female with a male and she attacks my other female and so I have to keep her seperate. :main_rolleyes:

supperl

G.Man <- ask HJ
acpart said:
The 20 gallon long tank (in inches) is 30 inches long, 12 inches deep and 12 inches high.

Aliza
Thank you for the info^^
These are the size I do quarantine for my Geckos. To be exact it is 16 inch deep and 24 inch long

Zimer

what should be the AREA of the tube if i want to hold 1 male and one female\two females together?
it will be easier...
thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Multiplying the dimensions of a 20L tank, I get 360 square inches. (12"x30"). If I convert the inches into centimeters I get approximately 75cmx30cm which comes to about 2100 cm squared. Hope this helps. (B'hatzlacha).

Aliza

rubym

We have a 40 gal breeder with 3 in it and a 45 gal viv that my husband built with 3. Our 20 gal has 1 our 29 gal has 2 and we have a 10 gal with 1 hatchling in it. I want to be sure they all have enough space.

Ruby

S

SteveB

I'm going to revise what I said... my rule of thumb was a modification of the caresheet I usually point new owners to which states this:

As a general rule, allow a minimum of about 12 square inches of surface area per adult Leopard Gecko.

My 'rule of thumb' is based on the fact that the footprint of a 10 gallon tank is 10 x 20 which is greater than this guide and is easier for some to keep in mind when going to a petstore than a set mathematical formula. (the footprint a 10 gallon tall is only 8 x 16 which is slightly smaller)

D

dod_resq_ff

My 100gallon has 4 females in it with another one to be added soon.

Zimer

ACPART, thanks (toda).
i want to build something like this:
http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dfgdfgdgcv5.jpg
on the top is the terrarium that will house probably one male and 3-4 females
and in the "mini rack" i'm planning on 6 16quarts tubes.
now my question is, 16quart can house two leopards?
(the depth is 40cm and the length will be 100cm and not 90cm like in the picture)
thanks

Last edited:

Visit our friends