Help with gecko I'm looking after!

Sarahjane792000

Hi

I've posted this in the wrong place also.... Under the care sheets. Is there a mid who can delete that one? Sorry.... New here.

Anyway....

I have 2 of my one cresties but am looking after a friend's leopard for 6 weeks. I've had him a couple of weeks now and as I don't want to worry her while she's away, I thought I'd check a couple of things on here with experts if that's OK? He has locusts but he doesn't seem to eat them.... He certainly doesn't jump on them straight away like one of my cresties does when I put crickets in. She assured me not to worry if they are in there too long as they leave him alone (I've heard of the bugs feeding on the gecko before). I've had to pull out dead ones but also part eaten ones, where I wonder if the locusts have eaten each other??? I can't see that he's eating them. Anyway, after having used the ones she'd supplied me, I bought some more but in hindsight decided they were too big (bigger than the gap between geckos eyes) so pulled them out and have out in some small crickets (I had small ones at home as crestie less than a year so not progressed on to bigger yet). Thought I'd see how he goes with them but he certainly hasn't sprung on them as yet but did peep his head out of his cave when I put them in). If he eats them, perhaps I'll buy him medium crickets next.

My other worry is that he is not coming out of his cave at all. His cave is on the heated side of his viv.

Any tips?

Oh.... He's a biting leopard gecko so I'm told so I'm afraid I won't be handling him! Apologies to all the leopard gecko lovers out there...... I still think the cresties are by far cuter!!

Thank you in advance!

Sarah.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I moved your thread to the right place. How long has he been with you? It's not unusual for leopard geckos to not eat for awhile when moved to a new place, even if it's in the same enclosure. If it's an adult or an older juvenile, adult crickets are fine. If it's a young juvenile who still has body bands, the medium ones are fine. Any way you can post a picture? Even if it doesn't eat much as long as it has access to water and someone keeping an eye on it, it will probably be OK. I have both leos and cresties and like both (in addition to all the other species I have!)

Aliza

Sarahjane792000

Great thanks Aliza. I shall post a picture. I actually don't know how old he is. I'll contact my friend and ask her that. I've had him at my house for 3 weeks now, although I was away for some of that time myself and my neighbour was looking after the lizards for me.

Here he is.

Attachments

• IMG-20190725-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190725-WA0001.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20190726-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20190726-WA0000.jpeg
    732.9 KB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He looks quite well fed and healthy. Don't worry if he doesn't eat. Sometimes they just stop eating for awhile. At that size, adult crickets are fine.

Aliza

Sarahjane792000

OK thank you. And the hiding in cave all the time? It's on the warm end of the viv. The crickets are all hiding in gaps between his cave and the floor.... Do u leave them there and wait for them to die if he's not eating them? Sorry...... No experience of leos at all!! My crestie who had the crickets eats them straight away!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some people advocate taking out any crickets that were not eaten within 15 minutes because they worry that the crickets will bother the gecko. I haven't particularly found that to be true. What works for me with some of my lazier geckos is to remove the furniture for about 30 minutes on feeding day so the crickets have no place to hide and the gecko can see them.

Aliza

Sarahjane792000

Hi Aliza

So today I took away his cave while I assessed how many small crickets were still with him (all of them) and I dropped in a standard size one. He seemed interested in the movement but makes no effort to catch the crickets whatsoever. I've left the cave out and will see what's happened in half an hour or so. I put a meal worm in front of him too and no interest. I did notice that he's had a shed.... There's a small amount remaining in there with him so wondered if a) he's eaten it hence fulfilled himself or b) they don't eat when shedding???

Here's a couple of pics today ad I realised that the ones I'd already posted are of day 1 with me, 4 weeks ago. I've got him for 2 more weeks.

Many thanks.

Sarah.

Attachments

• IMG-20190818-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20190818-WA0011.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20190818-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20190818-WA0010.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He still looks reasonable to me. I have no idea why he's' not eating. I'd recommend to keep offering and make sure he has adequate hydration. If he continues not to eat when his owner returns, they should consider a vet visit.

Aliza

Sarahjane792000

Thanks for all your help, Aliza. The gecko is now doing very well, feeding on locusts and more active. I guess he needed to settle in. Thank you!

Visit our friends