Heat

Silas0526

I have a heat lamp on the right side of my 20 gallon tank, and the temp on the left side is 3 degrees above what it should be. Is there anything I could do to lower the temp on the left side without lowering the right temp?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would need a little more information to know how to advise:
Are you using a 20 gallon long or high for your crested (or gargoyle) gecko?
When you say 3 degrees above what it should be, what is it and what do you think it should be?
How is the heat lamp affecting your humidity?

If you're not talking about a crested or gargoyle gecko (that's what forum it's in), let me know what kind of gecko you're talking about.

Aliza

Silas0526

I would need a little more information to know how to advise:
Are you using a 20 gallon long or high for your crested (or gargoyle) gecko?
When you say 3 degrees above what it should be, what is it and what do you think it should be?
How is the heat lamp affecting your humidity?

If you're not talking about a crested or gargoyle gecko (that's what forum it's in), let me know what kind of gecko you're talking about.

Aliza
I am preparing my tank for a crested gecko. The cool side of my 20 gallon tank is 78 when the care sheet from petco says it should be 75. I think that the temp is too close between the two sides. But my bulb went out while I was testing it yesterday, so I will just get a new bulb.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
For a crested gecko, the cool part should be at the bottom and the hotter side at the top. If it's a 20 gallon long that's 12" high, it's too short for a crested gecko. If it's a 20 gallon high that's 18"high it's fine. I honestly don't worry about the exact temperature difference. I just wrote an article about crested gecko temperature, lighting and humidity. I recommended either a LED light or a compact florescent, each of which emits some heat but not so much as to reduce the humidity significantly. Any of those lights is fine; don't worry about the exact brand.

Aliza

Visit our friends