For those of you who take out their geckos...

ggg111

Hi,

For those of you who take out their geckos (whether it be once a week or several times a day) how long do you take him out for? And, how long can you take him out for (maximum). What if there is a heat source (like a laptop that gets hot). Also, do they ever go to the bathroom on your or out of the cage?

THANK YOU for your input! :main_cool3:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If I didn't have 85 geckos (most of them are hatchlings) I would take them out more often. At the moment, I just pick everyone up when I feed to get them used to it. I have a few geckos who will sit on my shoulder for upwards of half an hour and one that will sit in my hand "forever". I wish I had more time for those, but I will once I sell more hatchlings. The best heat source is my hand. When they start squirming or if I get busy I put them back.

Aliza

STUTFL

Hi,

For those of you who take out their geckos (whether it be once a week or several times a day) how long do you take him out for? And, how long can you take him out for (maximum). What if there is a heat source (like a laptop that gets hot). Also, do they ever go to the bathroom on your or out of the cage?

THANK YOU for your input! :main_cool3:
I have one gecko.
I *can* take him out as long as he likes - he'll run around forever, taking the occasional "basking break" on my shoulder or under my legs. In practice, though, it's usually no more than half an hour.
The laptop is a heat source, I suppose, but I'm a much bigger one so he doesn't seem that thrilled with the computer. :laugh4: Except to hide underneath it when I tilt it backwards (it's a little netbook - if it were a "hotter" computer I wouldn't let him that close).
It's fun to make little dark "corridors" out of your hands and arms; the gecko follows them if they're the right width.
Yeah, they'll poop on stuff if they're out for a while. ;) Mine's only done so twice, and it's easy enough to clean up.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
All of our geckos are incredibly sweet and very calm. I think it's because we spend a lot of time with them. We take them out at each feeding... We also pick a gecko each night and spend extra quality time for at least an hour. They'll hang out on our shoulder, or hide away in the little fold of our shirt while we're watching tv. Some of our geckos could stay out for much much longer... they'll sit on your lap on your hand forever if they could!

BGalloway

I just have one and he'll usually be out for 10-20 minutes or until he gets fidgety. He's only pooped while out twice, both times he was being watched by my boyfriend, hadn't pooped yet that day, and his tank was being cleaned so he was out longer. Humans make a great heat source, I don't usually let him on my laptop just in case he decides to poo.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I pick up my geckos MANY times a night; I put them back as soon as they want to go - i.e. starts to wriggle and move faster. Most of mine would want to go back to their tanks after 5-6 minutes; Marly will sit on my lap forever.

Stomlin35

Gamer momma
My oldest girl I pick up occasionally, when I'm cleaning and what not, but she always freaks out so I leave her be most times. She seems to only have ever liked me when I was feeding her. The people I got her from hadn't treated her well at all, so I figure I'm getting backlash from that. We're working on it though. I only bring her out for about 30 minutes, where she refuses to be held.

My youngest girl is insanely hyper, so I can't pick her up without her trying to take a nose dive to the floor. :main_rolleyes: So yeah that only lasts for a couple minutes.

Last edited:

STUTFL

I let mine play around on the floor (in the middle, where I can get to any furniture before he does :laugh4: ), since there's not a lot of room in his tank and I love watching him run.

Visit our friends