Fleeced by unethical vet?

Hab031

Hi guys,

I am in need of advice for my 3-year old leopard gecko. About 2 months ago, I noticed that he was having issues shedding and one of his toes was turning black from stuck shed, so I took him to the vet. The vet gave him some cream and antibiotics, the toe was saved, and I took him in for a re check. At the recheck, the vet said that he had mouth rot (probably the result of the infection spreading?) and prescribed more antibiotics. Fast forward 3 weeks later, I take my gecko in again and he says the mouth rot isn’t better and gives me a chlorhexadine rinse and more antibiotics. This all seems reasonable enough, but I took him back in today and am starting to get suspicious of this vet. The vet said his mouth rot is 85% healed, but that one of his teeth has chipped off and is lodged in his gums. Accordingly, he wants to do a $1,2000 surgery to remove it, as well as put him on MORE antibiotics (it’s been 6 weeks of antibiotics by now). Additionally, he said that the fact that the tooth chipped means that my geck might have MBD and he consequently wants to do a $300 x-ray and $400 bloodwork to test his calcium levels. Is this normal? My gut tells me that this is way overkill (ie- if we think he has MBD, why don’t I just start increased calcium supplementation? Don’t leopard geckos teeth fall out and regenerate normally/could his mouth heal with continued antibiotics and no surgery?) the worst part is my Leo is so stressed through this process that he is barely eating, is losing weight, and has been put on a liquid diet. I feel like all of these interventions might be doing more harm than good, and I would greatly appreciate some advice. For reference he is pretty large (95g) and on initial exam at the first visit the vet said that his bones felt strong and he had no evidence of MBD (also why I’m suspicious that he suddenly wants to do an x ray). I don’t know if I should just finish out the antibiotics and let him be, take him to get a second opinion, or contemplate doing this ridiculously expensive surgery. All advice welcomed! Thanks so much!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that this is a bit extreme for a gecko with the history you described. I don't know that the vet is deliberately fleecing you (and I have no way to know). I have found that some people, including medical professionals, are overly cautious and thorough. In my opinion, if you're not comfortable with the added recommendations, you have the right to decline and see how the gecko does with a break from medical treatment.

Aliza

Hab031

I agree that this is a bit extreme for a gecko with the history you described. I don't know that the vet is deliberately fleecing you (and I have no way to know). I have found that some people, including medical professionals, are overly cautious and thorough. In my opinion, if you're not comfortable with the added recommendations, you have the right to decline and see how the gecko does with a break from medical treatment.

Aliza
Thank you so much for your response! Haha- maybe the title of my post was a bit extreme, I wrote it right after processing the sticker shock of the bills and was stressed. It makes sense that perhaps he is just trying to be thorough. I think I’ll plan on continuing through the end of the antibiotics (the area in his mouth with the stuck tooth is inflamed and bled a bit during the vet examination) and see how he’s doing at that point. Thanks again for your advice, and any other thoughts and ideas are welcomed!

Hab031

Ok great, thank you so much. I made him an appointment for 2 weeks from now at a different vet, and my plan is to finish out this round of antibiotics and then take him in to get the second opinion/check up. He is very lively, strong and appears healthy (no visible mouth rot except for a bit of redness around where his tooth chipped off) so hopefully he will heal ok without surgery but I’ll feel better with a second opinion!

Hab031

Update, went to another vet and they did not see any bone fragments in the jaw requiring surgery. They did however say that he has a few deep pockets in his mouth/some bone and tooth loss, which might be the result of the infection spreading to the bone in the past or present. They did say that he doesn’t have any signs of redness or inflammation in the mouth, however. The plan is to finish antibiotics with some decaf black tea rinses and supplement with pain meds. It also sounds like depending on recovery, he might need to be fed a liquid diet for the rest of his life, but the vet said there’s a good chance that he makes a recovery.

Thanks for the advice!

Visit our friends