does incubation temp influence colour?

tibi

i've learned from numerous sources that the incubation temperature also influences the colouring of the leopard gecko, as in lower temperatures hatch darker lizards and higher brighter ones. is this true? please answer from experience

stager

It definitely takes out the browns in tremper albinos, but don't forget it also determines sex so if you what to do it with females most wait three weeks of so then threw in a warmer incubator With males

tibi

well i kind of already got my breeding family. i'm just interested in having brighter babies. i incubated my last clutch at 77 degrees to get some females and they all hatched pretty dark. i had some snows which hatched a strong orange and after a few months have gotten really light yellow, almost white. i was thinking to raise the temps this season to 84 degrees.

tb144050

well i kind of already got my breeding family. i'm just interested in having brighter babies. i incubated my last clutch at 77 degrees to get some females and they all hatched pretty dark. i had some snows which hatched a strong orange and after a few months have gotten really light yellow, almost white. i was thinking to raise the temps this season to 84 degrees.

I'm not speaking from experience, but I think 77 is too low to safely incubate. I think I have read (because I did alot of searching about my blizzard) that it only takes 2degrees to influence color.??

tibi

I'm not speaking from experience, but I think 77 is too low to safely incubate. I think I have read (because I did alot of searching about my blizzard) that it only takes 2degrees to influence color.??

the ones at 77 degrees hached just fine, are perfectly healthy and eat like pigs

DrCarrotTail

77 is pretty low for leos. I believe at very low temps you can get "cold males" that are male but exhibit female behaviors in the same way you can get "hot females" over 90 degrees. I incubated mine at 81 degrees this past season and got some dark leos as well. I was given the advice of trying 83.5 for females this season and will be breeding two of the same females and can't wait to see if there's a difference in the babies color. I've also heard that the temperature of incubation influences Tremper albinos the most and the other morphs to a lesser extent or not at all. The sunglow girls I hatched out at 81 have super dark purple markings on their tails that I absolutely love but their orange color is still vibrant and bright. Not sure if it would be heightened by higher temps or not but I'll know soon!!

tibi

well then that's good to hear because all my leos are tremper (snow raptor male and females are raptor, dream and het eclipse), i'm hoping for some bright and colorful novas

Visit our friends