Breeding Questions

Taquiq

JK Herp
Hi Guys,

I have some questions.

1. I got Perlite for incubation and what are the humidity levels supposed to be and how do i maintain them?

2. I got a rubbermaid tub. I was thinking about using heat tape. Can I?

Srt14292

Est; 1992
1. I go with a 1:.8 ratio with my perlite to water. just make sure its not the growth enhancer brand or you will get mould and it will kill off your eggs. I keep them in a sealed container opening once per week for air exchange.
Go to Albeys site for more info on it I believe he has a page on it.

2. Yes heat tape under the maids will work fine. Just if you are using a rack remember to put the thermometer nearer the top half, as heat rises. (Thermometer for the thermostat of course). Good luck.

Taquiq

JK Herp
Can I use a UTH on it? Also I don't have a scale is there another way of doing it?

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I have used UTH on my racks, as long as you have it hooked to a thermostat, and the probe is in the upper half it should be fine.

As for that your going to need to get some scales then.

THE WHISPERER

Do your self a favor and get an incubator and a scale. You really want better control of your temps and proper humidity so that you improve your hatch rate percentages.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Do your self a favor and get an incubator and a scale. You really want better control of your temps and proper humidity so that you improve your hatch rate percentages.

OOOH I thought he meant heat tape for a rack system, yeah I concur with whisper here, get a set of pocket scales, and a decent incubator, Herp nursery 2 or a hovabator work well.

Taquiq

JK Herp
Let me get this straight.

I'm getting a Hova-Bator.
Where can I get pocket scales?
What do you mean put the probe in the upper half?

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I thought you were asking about heating a rack with the maid tubs, I didn't understand, Don't listen to what I said about that.
Hova-Bators work ok but they can't cool so they need to be somewhere where the temperature does not fluctuate. or the eggs might die.
Pocket scales you could probably find at home depot or just search on the internet and get them delivered to you.

Taquiq

JK Herp
Well yeah I'm talking about the rubbermaid tubs plain not in a rack. They are for the pair to breed in.

Visit our friends