Best option?

Poppy243

So as I'm looking to possibly breed in the future, I've been looking at different incubators, or homemade incubation set-ups, to see the best option when I get to this stage.
I know that the best incubator out there is the Nature's Spirit. I've seen how highly recommended it is, how few complaints there are, and I know it would be worth it to spend 4x the amount of some other incubators for a reliable, long-lasting incubator.
I will most likely have the resources to be able to afford such a purchase when the time comes. However, with no real certainty of how long I might want to breed, would it be worth it for a hobbyist like me to purchase such an incubator for my first season, especially with only extremely small-scale breeding plans (3 females)? Or would a cheaper or homemade option be best for the first season?
My thought was to construct a homemade incubator for the first season, so I'm not stuck sinking money into a cheaper store-bought one, and so if I like breeding and decide to continue, budget allowing, I'd go ahead and get the Nature's Spirit. For a homemade incubator, I haven't determined what set-up I'd use, but I'd definitely purchase a good T-stat to most accurately regulate the heat.

OnlineGeckos

If you can make one that keeps humidity and temperature steady, then go for it. I love the Nature Spirits but I was there in your shoes at one time, just starting out and didn't have enough geckos to jump into a big bad incubator right away. I have used a ReptiPro 6000 and it has worked well for me prior to me getting the Nature Spirits. So depending on how much you're looking to spend on building one, that's an option you can explore.

Phoenix1115

Hoovas are pretty good. This year I only had one female producing so I just used an IceCube brand cooler, a heat pad, and a thermostat and all 8 fertile eggs hatched no problem. But next year I will have more so I am going to convert my old mini fridge into an incubator. If you have one of those lying around I hear they work well and are pretty easy to set up

Poppy243

I know my parents just recently purchased a new cooler. I bet they'd let me use one of the old ones that's been replaced by the new one, providing they don't toss them out (which I highly doubt, knowing them).

Poppy243

I like the idea of converting a mini-fridge that way. Looks pretty easy to do as well as effective, especially the drawer with water bottles and gel packs to maintain heat, from what basic stuff I know about the thermodynamic properties of materials. I have a mini-fridge for my dorm room that would be somewhat unnecessary if I have the opportunity to move into an apartment on campus. Though its fate may be to end up with my younger brother when he goes to college, if I am in an apartment at the time… We will see.
These are all really good thoughts I'm getting!

Visit our friends