Back Kink

Keenzur

I bought this female from a local expo back in August. She was born with a back kink that they said was temperature related. 20220423_083429.jpg
20220423_081622-jpg.81097
They said she probably wouldn't have any trouble breeding, but I'm a bit skeptical. I was going to wait to see if she can lay slug eggs, but now I don't know if I would breed her either way.
Can females with back kinks lay eggs?
Do you think she could lay eggs safely?

Attachments

• 20220423_081622.jpg
    20220423_081622.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

Herpin Man

In the unlikely event that this is genetic, I would not breed this gecko. Additionally, breed and egg production takes a toll on the geckos body. This gecko should not be bred.
Kinked backs are something that geckos are occasionally born with. Most don’t survive long.

Keenzur

In the unlikely event that this is genetic, I would not breed this gecko. Additionally, breed and egg production takes a toll on the geckos body. This gecko should not be bred.
Kinked backs are something that geckos are occasionally born with. Most don’t survive long.
Yeah, thats pretty much the conclusion I have come to. I considered it because she's thriving and 31g already, but its not worth the risk.

Herpin Man

I don’t think it’s temperature related. I also think it’s irresponsible for a seller to even remotely hint at breeding this animal. Most breeders, myself included, would offer this as “pet only”.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have hatched a few geckos with kinks like this. One was a gargoyle gecko (I still have her and I don't breed anymore) and one was a leopard gecko that I sold for a very low price as pet only. I agree breeding her isn't a good idea. My gargoyle is 5 years old and doing fine.

Aliza

Elisha9

I bought this female from a local expo back in August. She was born with a back kink that they said was temperature related. View attachment 81096
20220423_081622-jpg.81097
They said she probably wouldn't have any trouble breeding, but I'm a bit skeptical. I was going to wait to see if she can lay slug eggs, but now I don't know if I would breed her either way.
Can females with back kinks lay eggs?
Do you think she could lay eggs safely?
It’s not tempt related at all. It may be mbd, mum not getting enough nutrients etc.

Defo do not breed her, I have one here with lumps and bumps, even though she lays duds fine I wouldn’t breed her.

Visit our friends