Why is my gecko doing this threatening gesture?

geckowiththeglock

I've had my gecko for a few months now, and he has never really been fond of me. He refuses to be handled but isn't aggressive whatsoever- he just chirps when I carry him. Because of that, I almost never handle him aside from choice based handling, where I just leave my hand in his enclosure and wait for him to climb on my hand (almost never)

Anyways, I was about to replace his soiled paper towel (I'm working on providing him loose substrate, the paper towels are temporary) when he started doing this threatening gesture. It was the first time I've ever seen him do this and I don't know why. He was staring directly at me and starting breathing faster. I left my hand with him for about 5 minutes to let him calm down but he got even more stressed so I closed the enclosure and let him be. He did not stop. I was sitting across the room and he was still wagging his tail.

Is this normal behaviour for a leopard gecko? Am I doing something wrong? I'm really sad that he doesn't like me so the least I can do is make him comfortable.

I don't know how to attach vids so here's a link Angry geckgeck

I've had my gecko for a few months now, and he has never really been fond of me. He refuses to be handled but isn't aggressive whatsoever- he just chirps when I carry him. Because of that, I almost never handle him aside from choice based handling, where I just leave my hand in his enclosure and wait for him to climb on my hand (almost never)

Anyways, I was about to replace his soiled paper towel (I'm working on providing him loose substrate, the paper towels are temporary) when he started doing this threatening gesture. It was the first time I've ever seen him do this and I don't know why. He was staring directly at me and starting breathing faster. I left my hand with him for about 5 minutes to let him calm down but he got even more stressed so I closed the enclosure and let him be. He did not stop. I was sitting across the room and he was still wagging his tail.

Is this normal behaviour for a leopard gecko? Am I doing something wrong? I'm really sad that he doesn't like me so the least I can do is make him comfortable.

I don't know how to attach vids so here's a link Angry geckgeck
Not sure what to tell you but the only two things I can think of is that, he is stressed, or he is an angry female. My gecko does that in the night, he does that so he can be more cautious and careful. That might be the reason why your gecko is doing that. But one thing I think might be the answer is that you bought a female gecko that is a hot female. A hot female will act very defensive and there is a high chance that they will never breed. A hot female is produced when the incubator temperatures when the female was in their eggs are too high from normal. However I don't think you are doing anything wrong. (I am not an expert)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That slow tail waving means "what are you doing in my territory?!" It's probably wise to minimize how much you have to be in there, but when you do, you do and the gecko is just going to have to tolerate it. Some geckos don't mind being handled and others just hate it. I don't think it's a question of whether or not they like you. Your gecko is communicating with you and even though the message isn't so much fun, when you have to clean, it's just going to have to tolerate it and if it wants to let you know what it's thinking by waving the tail, at least it's communication!

Aliza

Visit our friends