Why are reptile supplies so expensive?!

F

Foreverandever

I just spent $80+ on a tank (good size), a UTH and two hides! $80!!!!

Yeesh!

EDIT: No, it wasnt from a large chain store either!

biggiy05

Determination
The customer base is small compared to say hamster supplies or even dog and cat supplies. The demand is there but the customer base is small so they can keep prices high. Much like they did with gas prices. They know people will pay for it so they raise the price.

That's my guess anyway.

LizMarie

Too many any and all animals/pet supplies are expensive. I splurge at times but other times I just can't.. I used to want everything brand new and from exo-terra but I've learned my lesson, the gecko doesn't care! lol. After my gecko Petunia I learned how to decorate my own hides using deco sand and some non toxic crafting glue/sealer and some cheap plastic plants. They're cheap and easily replaced if need be and I have the fun of making it myself plus it's easier to match. I've also learned to look on Craigslist for tanks/enclosures, I found a "like new" 20gallon long with screen top for just $20 I just had to pick it up and rinse it out. As for the UTH, coconut fiber for humid hide and a few small decorations I usually buy from reptilesupply.com that seem to have the cheapest prices and I'm also on their mailing list and I get certain offers for free shipping, x% taken off and I take full advantage of that so keep cost down.

Luckily I just have one gecko, lol..

Barbel

It does get expensive. We also look for most of our supplies on Craigslist. One time we got 35, 40 and 55 gallon tanks for free from posting one want ad in the pet section. Free stuff is usually dirty, but hey it's free! Also, if you want to add plant decor, go to hobby lobby or even wal-mart they will have the same plants for half the price.

F

Foreverandever

Yea, I looked on craigslist but no had had anything in my area. I needed the stuff today so I had to drop the cash lol

Haligren

is behind you.
I was just having this problem. I was looking everywhere online and in my town for a decently prices repti-shelter for Mandarin. She won't use her plastic moist hide and not that I've had trouble with her shedding and what not, I just like to have piece of mind. That and Tiamat loves hers so much I figured Mandarin would like one as well... Anyway, thanks to Jess (Lady_Kiya), I found a decently priced on with cheap shipping on Big Al's.

After this though I think I'm going to try making my own stuff. I like making things anyway. lol I'd like to make my own background with ledges n' stuff.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
I used to work for a pet supply distributor so I got everything at wholesale. I still wouldn't even buy most of the reptile stuff! (Those rock hides are expensive from the manufacturer) I could get identical mini crock feeding dishes off of the hamster page of the catalog for way less that the "reptile" one. Exact same ceramic dish, two different bar codes, two different prices. :main_rolleyes:

It's the same with ferret stuff. The Yesterday's News litter with the ferret on on the bag is way more expensive than the one with the cat on it.

Gregg M

Registered Member
The fact is, the pet trade is a muli billion dollar industry... Its a business... These places need to make money and lots of it... Thats the way it is and has to be in order to keep the ball rolling... If you gave your product away, there would be no business left... People pay big money to care for their pets without batting an eye and that how it should be...

The price of supplies and care needs to be taken into account before anyone gets involved in the hobby... Its easy to buy a 15 dollar lizard but not so cheap to house it and care for it properly...

F

Foreverandever

Its easy to buy a 15 dollar lizard but not so cheap to house it and care for it properly...

:main_yes::main_yes:

Same with other animals. Like my rats. I got the girls for almost free. The cage itself was $100 (four levels) and however much else for the food/bedding/water bottle, etc

Ridculous

Barbel

Its easy to buy a 15 dollar lizard but not so cheap to house it and care for it properly...

That was my biggest pet peeve (no pun intended!) about working in a pet shop. Everyone was so excited, they just couldn't wait to take home their new, cute, fuzzy, or scaly, or fishy friend, but they did NOT want to spend a DIME on supplies. It was so frustrating! This one lady was buying a corn snake for her son's birthday, but she thought 10 gallon aquariums were too expensive and wanted to keep it in a small cricket keeper! AHH! I understand not wanting to spend a fortune, but you still have to buy the proper supplies. Fighting with people over fish also made me want to rip my hair out.

Visit our friends