Tips for Taming a Gecko?

Fatal_Pastry

I have a new Gargoyle gecko, she's a little over a year old and has been in my care for about 6 weeks now. She's mostly eating when hand-fed and I have been hand-feeding her fairly regularly. I want to try to start getting her used to handling now, though. Any advice? Do I just start scooping her up for a few minutes every few days until she calms down? She eats out of my hand but I haven't been able to coax her to move anywhere for food, she just sits there staring at it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, scoop her up and hold her for a few minutes. If she wants to move, let her go from hand to hand. If you hand feed her, that's what she'll get used to. That's not a bad thing, as long as you're willing to continue it. I have crested geckos and gargoyle geckos that I have never seen eat, but they're all fine.

Aliza

Fatal_Pastry

Yes, scoop her up and hold her for a few minutes. If she wants to move, let her go from hand to hand. If you hand feed her, that's what she'll get used to. That's not a bad thing, as long as you're willing to continue it. I have crested geckos and gargoyle geckos that I have never seen eat, but they're all fine.

Aliza
I have a infrared camera so I know for sure she isn't eating except when I hand feed her. I enjoy hand-feeding her but I can't do it every night and I'd like to be able to put food in her tank in the morning and know she'll eat it on her own. One of the main reasons I want to start handling her is so I can physically show her to her food bowl.

Alright, I guess I'll just keep trying to gently scoop her up. She got away from me last time and has been hiding since but she'll come around and come back out eventually.

Visit our friends