Taking him on vacation...

kyahbean

Puzzle is my 2nd love.
So I think I need to take Puzzle with me to Maine, and it gets chilly there at night. I am trying to avoid having to bring his entire cage, and was thinking that I could just get a little bin or something for the 6 days I am there. Are plastic bins OK to use with the under the tank heater? I also will need a ceramic heat emitter or a heat lamp and I just want to know if anyone has used these with plastic bins. I want to make sure I am not going to melt his house!

Or, does anyone have any suggestions about smaller, temporary housing options for traveling with geckos?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Well I know you can use the lamp or heat wave emitter with a tub. If you know Rainey (caterpiller giraffe) she has her Savanah monitor in a tub. They need 110F

kyahbean

Puzzle is my 2nd love.
Well I know you can use the lamp or heat wave emitter with a tub. If you know Rainey (caterpiller giraffe) she has her Savanah monitor in a tub. They need 110F

Do you use the under tank heater as well? And what kind of tub is it? Like a tupperware sort of thing or a thicker type of rubbermaid bin?

latshki

Breeder in the making
it doesnt get too chilly there as long as he is in a car or house in ike a critter keeper with a blanket around it he should be fine, I live right above maine on prince edward island, canada

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you need to get a bin, you'll have to drill air holes in it so you can keep the cover on,or else, I guess you could attach some screen to the top. What I think is a better solution where you don't have to do anything to the enclosure is to get the largest "faunarium" from the petstore. It's about 17"x14"x6"high. It's transparant plastic so you can see your pet and it has a cover that's completely ventilated with a plastic lift-up panel on top so you don't have to take the cover off every time you want to feed or take your pet out. I used one a few years ago to house leopard gecko hatchlings. An under tank heater is fine as long as you use a thermostat (or rheostat, but not as easy to keep adjusted) with it to keep it from getting too hot.

Aliza

kyahbean

Puzzle is my 2nd love.
it doesnt get too chilly there as long as he is in a car or house in ike a critter keeper with a blanket around it he should be fine, I live right above maine on prince edward island, canada

Well, we stay at a camp in cabins that don't have heat or anything. It gets cold enough at night that I will need a UTH and a heat emitter for sure. It gets down to the mid 40s low 50s.

kyahbean

Puzzle is my 2nd love.
If you need to get a bin, you'll have to drill air holes in it so you can keep the cover on,or else, I guess you could attach some screen to the top. What I think is a better solution where you don't have to do anything to the enclosure is to get the largest "faunarium" from the petstore. It's about 17"x14"x6"high. It's transparant plastic so you can see your pet and it has a cover that's completely ventilated with a plastic lift-up panel on top so you don't have to take the cover off every time you want to feed or take your pet out. I used one a few years ago to house leopard gecko hatchlings. An under tank heater is fine as long as you use a thermostat (or rheostat, but not as easy to keep adjusted) with it to keep it from getting too hot.

Aliza

Hmmm I will look into that...thanks!

Visit our friends