Substrate?

ClownCarOnFire

*Asking for a friend*

Just curious about what the ideal substrate for a Ball Python is?
We're going out later to pimp out the tank haha.

I skimmed through this section but found nothing, so help?

Thanks a lot.

Barbel

The two best options would be aspen or cypress wood. Aspen is probably the most accessible, but if you can find cypress that's what I prefer. You may be able to find it at a garden center. Also make sure it is ONLY cypress and not mixed with any other wood and that it has not been treated with any chemicals. Remember to feed the snake in a separate tub to avoid compaction! Have fun!

Barbel

I wouldn't use astroturf because I don't think that it would hold moisture in very well or the tank would just be wet all the time. Just treat the substrate with Prevent-A-Mite every time the cage and cleaned out and there shouldn't be any issues.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
We just use paper towels for my daughter's snake. That is what the breeder recommended.

janjgeckos

The two best options would be aspen or cypress wood. Aspen is probably the most accessible, but if you can find cypress that's what I prefer. You may be able to find it at a garden center. Also make sure it is ONLY cypress and not mixed with any other wood and that it has not been treated with any chemicals. Remember to feed the snake in a separate tub to avoid compaction! Have fun!

+1 Pure Cypress mulch is the way to go your snake can get mites no matter what you house them on. I treat all mulch before use I housed over 100 ball pythons on cypress and never had mites.

Heather

"Special Edition"
I use non-printed newspaper that I purchase for $.10 a pound at my local Merchandiser for all my snakes. I have over 40 snakes and I will never use anything else. Super easy cleanup, cheap and I have never had any problems using it. Good luck!

Visit our friends