Spray Foam Insulation. Is it safe? *Serious Question about Toxicity*

morphmom

Hello :)
So, here's the issue:
I love crafting and feel like I could make something really amazing for my 1 year old Tremper Albino Giant Leopard Gecko, Using spray foam.
BUT...I can't find any in Canada that is non toxic.
Is there non toxic spray foam? Or, does grouting make this medium safe?
I'm SUPER protective of my little buddy. He's a pet. Not for breeding, not for show, just my hang out on my shoulder, best little reptile pal. I'd hate myself and cry for days, if I thought I did something to hurt him, or potentially hurt him.
Idea's? Opinions? Input of any kind?
P.S.
I hope I posted in the right area.
Thanks, in advance,
Mylo's Mommy. :)

Akari_32

Once its covered in grout and sealant, it'll be fine. If you're really worried, add a few extra layers of sealant, and don't forget to seal the bottom of the structure :)

morphmom

Once its covered in grout and sealant, it'll be fine. If you're really worried, add a few extra layers of sealant, and don't forget to seal the bottom of the structure :)

Thank you very much for your reply. I read that it is non toxic once cured. But I honestly don't know what that means and google failed to help me out on that one. *sigh* decisions, decisions. I wonder If I could achieve something close with non toxic caulking. Hmmm...

Akari_32

"Cured" just means its hardened. I've seen a few projects where people just spray foam on this site. Use that search bar at the top of the page, and type in "spray foam" or "foam", and I'm sure something good will come up.

morphmom

Thank you again, I'll be sure to do that. I'm just hoping I don't imply that I feel it may be unsafe. That's not my intent and I really don't want to offend anyone.

Akari_32

If you're worried about using the spray foam, you can use sheets of styrofoam cut to shape and siliconed together. Then cover with grout and seal just like you would the spray foam. This is what I'm doing for my guys.

morphmom

If you're worried about using the spray foam, you can use sheets of styrofoam cut to shape and siliconed together. Then cover with grout and seal just like you would the spray foam. This is what I'm doing for my guys.

-I may have to. I really hate working with styro foam tho! LOL! I like to sculpt, by nature, and am very frustrated at the instability of my clays.:main_angry:
I'll call up "great stuff-pond and stone" (found that thanks to your advice) and see what they have to say. I may have to just break away from the pack and do salt dough.
-Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it:)

Visit our friends