S.I.M.S for R. Ciliatus

uroplatus99

Anyone use this? If so, what is your Substrate Medium or Incubation Medium? I was thinking of using just pure Perlite and keeping it moist. Also was looking at putting a few holes in the lid, just to keep the air a bit more fresh...

Thoughts?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
SIMS work out well for Rhacs. I find perlite to be the best medium. I would be careful with air holes, too many and it will dry things out. I simply lift lids once a week when I check on eggs and that provides enough air exchange.

uroplatus99

SIMS work out well for Rhacs. I find perlite to be the best medium. I would be careful with air holes, too many and it will dry things out. I simply lift lids once a week when I check on eggs and that provides enough air exchange.

Perfect... Thanks for the info.. I will just do the same.. no air holes, and lift the lid every now and then. Wish they had this back when I was breeding U. phantasticus and henkeli... I had made my own version as well as trying to hang them over a wet medium in panty hose :)

Hannibal

Gray Sky Exotics
I use superhatch in my SIMs, then open the lid for about a minute or two every other day when I'm feeding the others. Sofar I have had 6 babies hatch out, one die in egg 2 weeks prior to clutchmate hatching (dam/sire 1st yr breeding), and 4 eggs currently incubating. I love the ease of the SIMs and the hatchling is clean when it comes out, no incubation material. I'd never use anything other than the SIMS.

uroplatus99

I use superhatch in my SIMs, then open the lid for about a minute or two every other day when I'm feeding the others. Sofar I have had 6 babies hatch out, one die in egg 2 weeks prior to clutchmate hatching (dam/sire 1st yr breeding), and 4 eggs currently incubating. I love the ease of the SIMs and the hatchling is clean when it comes out, no incubation material. I'd never use anything other than the SIMS.

Thanks dude... I have seen the superhatch stuff over at Pangea... I got a S.I.M.S this week, simply because it made since to me... Glad to see others using with great success.

:main_thumbsup:

uroplatus99

Actually with crested keeping them in the same temps of the geckos themselves is what ideas to be the ideal temps (75degrees). So really just knowing the temps of the room and using that plus perlite or something like it for moisture retaining substrate. I am sure if I am not correct here some one will chime in.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Actually with crested keeping them in the same temps of the geckos themselves is what ideas to be the ideal temps (75degrees). So really just knowing the temps of the room and using that plus perlite or something like it for moisture retaining substrate. I am sure if I am not correct here some one will chime in.

You are correct. I simply incubate eggs in a container (SIM) with perlite on a shelf in the gecko room. I do keep a thermometer on the shelf next to the eggs because temps can vary depending on what height the eggs are at, so in winter the container goes on a higher shelf, in the summer a lower one, etc. But that's pretty much all there is to it.

Visit our friends