Rack without tools...

Euphoric

So yes, I have gone through all the threads on racks :p
I have little to no tools. (Think, hammer and screwdriver, drill) But I really need to get a *adult* rack system going.

I was going to use the sterlite drawer cart, because I do know some people keep them in those with no escapees. I am still thinking of doing it if this doesn't pan out. Item in question: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Wide-Cart-Navy/15136529

I would technically like to go lidless, but that doesn't look like it will happen due to my lack of ability to build a rack. So if I buy a sterlite container, drill holes on the top, that would be good?

So buy these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-15qt-Latch-Box-Violet-Magenta-Set-of-10/15136534

(I am actually thinking about doing 28qt..15qt looks so small!)

And I guess just try to find a bookshelf that will hold them?

Does anyone else have something similar where they just put drilled with lid on a bookshelf that isn't customized?

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
i don't suggest the drawer systems, i started out that way and had many escapes. if you have a hammer, screwdriver, and drill, you can plan out your rack, take the plan to the local hardware store, and have them cut the pieces of material to size for you. most do that for free. assembly will be easy, you just have to think of how you are going to heat the tubs in the rack. if you do go the locking lid container way on a shelf, drill holes in the front and sides as well to aid in circulation. again, think about your heating method on a shelving unit as well.

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I don't think that should be a problem. You might want to cut most of the top out and hot glue a screen into it. That would probably offer the best way to go but just having holes in it should be good enough. I would use that before going with the drawer system.

Euphoric

fuzzylogix, my mother actually works at lowes, and none of them will do it for me, lol. I also asked homedepot, but they will only cut things on a large scale.

But Prettyinpink..that first link is perfect. that is exactly what I will do. It looks like he only put holes on the side though?

I was planning to use heat cable because I have it on hand.

prettyinpink

Erm sorry, what do you mean by holes? You talking about the tubs? Doesn't really matter where you put the holes just as long as there's enough vents in there to give proper ventilation

vear

fuzzylogix, my mother actually works at lowes, and none of them will do it for me, lol. I also asked homedepot, but they will only cut things on a large scale.

But Prettyinpink..that first link is perfect. that is exactly what I will do. It looks like he only put holes on the side though?

I was planning to use heat cable because I have it on hand.

Wow, are you serious? The home depot by me (NY) will cut anything I bring over! Even if I didn't buy it there.

Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful, I'm just surprised they won't cut things for you.

Euphoric

Yeah, I have asked other stores as well.

I have a quick heating question...where does the heat cable go? On the bottom of the shelf itself?

Euphoric

I am sorry retribution reptiles I don't understand what you are saying?

I don't see how you can put the heat cable on the back/bottom of the containers as I have to take them in/out to look and care for the geckos, so the only logical place would be on the shelf?

Visit our friends