Question on D3 levels in the calcium

I got some calcium today but anyways it says it has a minimum of little bit of D3 and it's Fluckers brand so is it fine or should I get plain calcium to put in the dish. Also is phosphours fine because also has a little in it also

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
If you choose to go this direction, you need to have calcium without D3 for inside the tank at all times, calcium with D3 when you dust, but not every time and a vitamin supplement to dust with as well. So, that's 3 different containers you need to buy. It's kind of confusing for the "newer" gecko keepers, so that's why I recommend getting Repashy products. It's all mixed together and you use it every time you feed and the bonus is you don't need to leave anything inside the tank.

Well ok but this the last ? I'm still trying to grasp do they need plain calcium to survive happily and healthy or do they need both

reps4life

Well ok but this the last ? I'm still trying to grasp do they need plain calcium to survive happily and healthy or do they need both

I will try my best to explain the options you have. Yes, they need calcium and vitamin D and multivitamins.

Option 1
There is a product made by Repashy that is an all-in-one that you can dust the insects in at every feeding. This product has Calcium, VitaminD and multivitamins all in one bottle.

Option2
You need to buy:
1 bottle of Plain calcium (phosphorus free)
This one will do in a little dish that you can leave in the
tank and the gecko will lick it when he wants.

1 bottle of Calcium with Vitamin D in it.
This one DOES not go in the tank. This one you dust the insects in 2-3 times a week.

1 bottle of multivitamin (example: Repcal brand)
This one you can dust the insects with once a week. (varies)

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
I will try my best to explain the options you have. Yes, they need calcium and vitamin D and multivitamins.

Option 1
There is a product made by Repashy that is an all-in-one that you can dust the insects in at every feeding. This product has Calcium, VitaminD and multivitamins all in one bottle.

Option2
You need to buy:
1 bottle of Plain calcium (phosphorus free)
This one will do in a little dish that you can leave in the
tank and the gecko will lick it when he wants.

1 bottle of Calcium with Vitamin D in it.
This one DOES not go in the tank. This one you dust the insects in 2-3 times a week.

1 bottle of multivitamin (example: Repcal brand)
This one you can dust the insects with once a week. (varies)

I guess my post was invisible. LOL!

joshuadude

Since this thread is here, id figured this would be a good place to ask; I have a bottle of ReptcoCal stuff that "Includes calcium and vitamin D3" would it be sufficient to use this and only this, a few times a week in dusting? Or will I need another product in conjunction with this

reps4life

Since this thread is here, id figured this would be a good place to ask; I have a bottle of ReptcoCal stuff that "Includes calcium and vitamin D3" would it be sufficient to use this and only this, a few times a week in dusting? Or will I need another product in conjunction with this

I wrote the options in this thread already if you look above. Better yet ask a vet:) I never heard of ReptocoCal before.

reps4life

There is no set amount for everyone. It varies with age and what you feed. If you vary at least 3-4 different food items a week then they will most likely get all the nutrition needed without the excess supplementing. Feed as many well balanced food items as possible and you will have a happy and healthy gecko for many years to come:)

Hint: I would never use a product that does not give you at least an idea of amount to use. Obviously it will lead to under or worst oversupplementation if you are left to dust freely a product containing fat soluble vitamins.

The best solution and answers are all within this post.
Don't be lazy and read carefully.

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=33678&page=2

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=80944

Last edited:

gecko4245

I did not want to make a whole new thread so I put this here. Just to help people understand how much safer it is to use UVB bulbs instead of dusting vitD so often. UVB bulbs actually begins to break down both previtamin D3 and vitamin D3.
Long tubes only. NO coils or compact bulbs.

Leopard geckos only need low levels, so no higher than 5.0
If it's a small tank a 2.0 is enough.

http://robertsprackland.hubpages.com/hub/Ultraviolet-Light--Vitamin-D--and-Reptile-Health

The gecko’s skin is capable of absorbing 37 to 44% of the total UVB light that they are exposed to. The UVB penetration is 14 times the amount seen in a sun worshiping lizard such as the bearded dragon. Due to the sensitivity of the gecko to UVB light, they effectively hide from light necessary for the conversion of Vitamin D to its active Vitamin D3 form. In captivity, this species of reptile may actually benefit from low levels of UVB light necessary for Vitamin D3 production, but high levels of UVB exposure will be harmful. It is felt that in the gecko’s natural habitat, UVB light will actually penetrate their hiding places to such an extent that it is sufficient for their Vitamin D3 needs. Only lamps producing UVA, such as an incandescent light, should be used in a gecko enclosure and Vitamin D3 should be supplemented. Alternatively, extremely low levels of UVB light and short period exposure times can be used to manufacture the animals’ necessary Vitamin D3 requirements, but the process MUST BE CAREFULLY REGULATED.

Last edited:

mack

I've been told by many gecko owners/breeders, that have really good credentials, that you should dust Juvenal leopard geckos food every feeding, and adults 2-3 times a week.

Visit our friends