Poster Contests

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
Alright guys, lets figure out what to do with the poster contests. Cafe Press has two sizes: a mini poster $5.49 (11 x 17) and a small poster $15.39 (16 x 20). I'm thinking we can stick with the mini posters since they're cheaper and little smaller in size to work with.

Ideally the photos should be 3600 x 2400 or 2400 x 3600 pixels in size and 150-300 DPI (dots per inch). Most digital cameras at their highest resolution take their photos in 300 DPI, so be sure to set your camera setting at it's best. There is a great megapixel size chart here: http://www.design215.com/toolbox/megapixels.php. It shows the pixel size and image size at different DPIs for each megapixel.

Be sure to keep composition in mind when snapping the photos. Ideally you should center and snap the photo as you wish to see it in poster form. I can resize the images some to work best, but I don't want to enlarge the photos to much in fear of distortion/blurriness.

I'm going to figure out how to brand the forums logo and winner info on the poster on the fly later. For now lets throw around some ideas for posters :main_thumbsup:

You can post small/cropped versions here, and email the large images to me: [email protected].

Last edited:

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
We can make as many or as few posters as you want. We can keep tons or make limited editions, I don't really care. We can do something weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. I just want us to have some fun and take some cool photos.

Right now I'm just winging it. We can work on better details as we get more input.

yellermelon

Rockin the Suburbs
I took a few, I dont know if they are good enough, so I will just post the small one here. You guys can let me know if they are up to par, then Ill send the big pics :)
small.jpg

small_PRS.jpg

small4.jpg

small3.jpg

small2.jpg

Not on the cool rock thing but still a cool lil leo, he came from petco.
Mabey when it gets warm outside this week I can take some "outside" pics woo hoo;)
juice_man.jpg

yellermelon

Rockin the Suburbs
Cool, my personal fav was the first pic. lol. This thread sure is moving slower than I thought it would. Comon people I wanna see your pics

robin

i'll see what i can do once i feel better. hey ryan do you know of any programs that open RAW images. my CS2 wont. apparently you have to have some kind of add on or extension

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
PaulSage said:
The biggest pictures my camera will take are 3264 x 2448 :(
I'm probably going to be doing these at 200 DPI. So if I pulled your big 3264 x 2448 300 DPI image into a 200 DPI document it will fit just fine. I can enlarge the photos too, I just don't want to do it more than 25%. Pretty much if everyone has a 3 megapixel or higher camera, we're good as long as they're the highest res possible. No worries :D

robin said:
hey ryan do you know of any programs that open RAW images.
Not of the top of my head, I'll have to look around later.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
uhh... how do I figure out what dpi my image is?

At 3264 x 2448 in full quality it's 3613.37KB if that helps.

Here's a little preview picture of it...

Patty04small.jpg

brandy101010

I love that pic paul! It would make a great poster!

I want a bold stripe poster. Come on guys I know some of you have some awesome bold stripes!

paulnj

Robin, if your camera shoots raw files it had to have come bundled with a raw converter. CS2 opens my canon 1D raw files, what camera do you own?

paulnj

canon usa site has updated drivers and software compatible with the XT, but I assure you that you should be able to right click on the raw file and "open with" photoshop CS. That will open CS and the raw converter will then load. I myself find the large fine jpeg to be plenty enough for even paid jobs, but shoot raw+ jpeg for tricky lighting and hard to find subjects. I was a paid photog up until my day job got too busy for a part time photog job.

Visit our friends