Our first Gecko!

Scott&Nikki

Hello,

My girlfriend and I just got our first gecko yesterday. We found this forum and wanted to check it out. I gotta get some better pictures, but I'm waiting till he/she(?) gets a little more used to the environment.

gixxer3420

I would take your new gecko off of the sand. I use paper towel as my substrate, and there are other forum members that use tile. Nice new gecko.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Cute little gecko... looks like it may be a hypo-tangerine! Sand is not appropriate for small geckos, and calium sand should not be used under any circumstance.

G

GeckoMandi

Very cute little tang!

I agree I wouldn't keep that little one on sand.

SpOuK-3-

I use sand for my two geckos .... They are in perfect shape since 4 - 5 months ... the sand is not small as this one ...

Anyway I don't know what to say ... I think sand is ok ... Gecko are eating really well ...

gixxer3420

Sand is not good to use for geckos. Who ever told you this gave you the wrong information. This happens alot, you are on the right forum becaue the people on here will help you out and give you accurate information. I use paper towels on all my leos fromm hatchlings to my breeders.

crayolaskies

Yes, paper towels are best. Even if some people say it's okay to use sand and obviously that's what they are on in the wild, it's better to be safe than sorry. You wouldn't want to lose that cute little guy (or girl) to impaction. I've seen pictures and it's not pretty. Plus, paper towels are much cheaper and they're easier to clean.
BTW, I love the coloring on your new baby! Looks like you've got a hypo tangerine. Those are my favorites!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Very cute little gecko!! I use ceramic tile as substrate, I picked the ones that have a more natural finish; maybe you could give that a try. About the sand....even if its 80% safe that geckos can survive on sand, I wouldn't want to risk the 20%.

***I made up that 80% part.***

D

dwarfgouramis

I used sand for about 2 months but switched to a reptile carpet because I started to notice sand in my leo's poo... but since I switched there's no more sand.

Scott&Nikki

I appreciate everyones help with this. I am gonna change the sand out. Multiples times I heard that sand isnt just ok but its better for them because it is more natural. I have also heard that sand in their poo isnt necessarily bad. They said that sometimes it aids in digestion. But either way, thank you for the help and I will make the change.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Even if some people say it's okay to use sand and obviously that's what they are on in the wild, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Actually, leos don't really live on sand in the wild. The ground is hard-packed clay soil with rocky granite and sandstone.

D

DannyCrazy4Geckos

If you really want to use sand wait til your geckos are fully-grown adults. Also use as finely-grained as possible. (paper towels aren't very attractive, but i would agree that they are safer. There are other alternatives though, like repti-carpet, slate, etc.)

S

sportbike_rob

i use flukers all natural moss. my fat tail seems to love the stuff, and so do i, its very naturalistic, looks good and holds moisture very well (good for fat tails because they require higher humidity than leo's) anyway, im sure it would be good for a leo, but dont quote me on that, as i am new to the whole gecko world myself.

crayolaskies

Golden Gate Geckos said:
Actually, leos don't really live on sand in the wild. The ground is hard-packed clay soil with rocky granite and sandstone.

Sorry for the for the mess up. Someone on another gecko forum told me that leopard geckos live on sand in the wild and was using that as an excuse to keep them on it in their tank. Thanks for correcting me! :main_thumbsup:

marula

nice little cutie! is more save for him the paper towel ;)
you have a nice baby and wellcome to the forum.
you can have fun here and found a lot of interesting info about your new sweety pet!

S

SwimMom

Very cute baby you have there congrats. I was using the repti carpet until my leo got her toe stuck. I switched to ceramic tile cause its cheaper in the long run and looks very nice and its easy to clean also.

Scott&Nikki

SwimMom said:
Very cute baby you have there congrats. I was using the repti carpet until my leo got her toe stuck. I switched to ceramic tile cause its cheaper in the long run and looks very nice and its easy to clean also.

This sounds like what I am going to do eventually. I just switched the sand out for paper towels. Could you please give me some pictures of what the tile looks like? I think it would look nicer than paper towels, and I don't like how the crickets hide under the towels. Oh, and where can I purchase the tile and about how much? Thanks

Visit our friends