meallies eating stomach again - poll

have you had a gecko die through mealworms eating out of its stomach.

• Yes, my gecko died because of mealworms eating stomach

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • I always take off the heads of mealworms as am worried about this

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • No, this has never happend. I believe its a myth

Votes: 343 94.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tintern

ok folks, I am fed up with so called experts in pet shops telling me mealworms eat geckos stomachs from the inside and that the heads should be squished.

Its alarmist and very worrying when you dont know better. So for the benefit of everyone (and me) I would like to do a poll (although im not sure how to set one up). My hope is to determin if this has actually happened to anyones gecko on this forum and also help newbie owners.

Hope you think this is worthwhile and comment. If it wasnt for this site I would still be taking the heads off the meallies and my gecko would not be eating.

Thanks for your help folks. :D

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I don't know about the issue since I'm kinda new and everything I've ever heard from folks in the know was that it's bull, but I'd have to see it happen with my own eyes before I squished the head of every mealworm I fed. I don't even know if mine would eat a mealworm that didn't move anyway...

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Total load of BS.
Pet shops know nothing about the animals they are selling. I agree with Kevin, Untill I see it infront of my eyes to one of my own geckos, I shall feed how I have been.

Do you really think breeders would squish every mealworms head when they are feeding hundreds of geckos.

tintern

good to see

:main_thumbsup: Its good to see your replies confirm my thoughts - keep voting folks. Ta

JordanAng420

I can't STAND this myth.
It just won't DIE. Like the sand debate.
Seriously people, think about ALL the big breeders whos names are at the top of this webpage...most if not all of them feed mealworms, or have fed mealworms at some point...and I can GUARENTEE that no one has enough time to be chopping the heads off of thousands and thousands of mealworms.

Not to mention, there isn't any possible way for something to be LIVING inside your stomach, unless it's a parasite that originated there.

LizMarie

Myth.

I believe it started because someone had a lizard of some kind that had poor husbandry and just so happened to have mealworms in the enclosure. The lizard dies from some unknown cause prematurely and the person comes to find a mealworm eating at the geckos stomach, which makes them believe "OMG the mealworm chewed through my gecko from the INSIDE" when it was most likely from the outside. I bet if they were to do a necropsy or whatever it's called it would be some other issue that caused the death.

Some people are just stupid and just repeat what they hear and never bother to research or think of a logical reason. I heard this all the time when I used to buy mealworms from my local pet shop. He argued with me on how waxworms are so much better, bla, bla, bla.. I just ignored him and asked for my mealworms and left. lol

maximusx6910

I can't STAND this myth.
It just won't DIE. Like the sand debate.
Seriously people, think about ALL the big breeders whos names are at the top of this webpage...most if not all of them feed mealworms, or have fed mealworms at some point...and I can GUARENTEE that no one has enough time to be chopping the heads off of thousands and thousands of mealworms.

Not to mention, there isn't any possible way for something to be LIVING inside your stomach, unless it's a parasite that originated there.

Good ole Anatomy/Biology 101.

Stomlin35

Gamer momma
Maybe cricket suppliers started it.:main_rolleyes:

But crickets do even WORSE!! They lay eggs in the gecko's stomach, the eggs hatch after a few weeks, and the gecko blows up. There's actual fire shooting from their stomach and everything.:main_laugh:

tintern

LOL you folks are great

:main_laugh: Thanks for all your input folks, it really made me laugh. Im so glad I did this post. Keep voting and maybe we can put this myth where it belongs, in the trash!

OneFootedAce

But crickets do even WORSE!! They lay eggs in the gecko's stomach, the eggs hatch after a few weeks, and the gecko blows up. There's actual fire shooting from their stomach and everything.:main_laugh:

I once heard that if a cricket chirps at the right frequency, it will make a gecko's head explode.

LMAO!!!

I think this calls for Myth Busters!

Visit our friends