meallies eating stomach again - poll

have you had a gecko die through mealworms eating out of its stomach.

• Yes, my gecko died because of mealworms eating stomach

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • I always take off the heads of mealworms as am worried about this

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • No, this has never happend. I believe its a myth

Votes: 343 94.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

onemodog

Im a new leo owner and I dont expect to ever see this happen.
I did however see a fat guy in a red suit on my roof one Christmas

G

geckoman1

Complete Myth. I had always given mealworms to my geckos and they are all fine.

Chevalrose

I'm assuming this myth covers superworms as well? I just got my gecko yesterday and went to get superworms (which they happened not to have) and told them it was for a leopard gecko and she looked shocked and went on a tangent about them biting and eating through the stomach and what not. I took it with a grain of salt since I've been doing research for months and haven't heard of anyone having this problem.

thegeckoguy23

:main_laugh::main_laugh::main_laugh:

I'm very new to the reptile hobby. I've had my gecko just over a month...and it chows on mealworms and small superworms. You can hear it crunch and squish with each bite. I doubt the worm can survive all that crunching and chew through a stomach.

they are still alive after that but it gos down the osposfics and cant do anything and then bile breaks it down and kills it in a matter of seconeds

JordanAng420

I'm assuming this myth covers superworms as well? I just got my gecko yesterday and went to get superworms (which they happened not to have) and told them it was for a leopard gecko and she looked shocked and went on a tangent about them biting and eating through the stomach and what not. I took it with a grain of salt since I've been doing research for months and haven't heard of anyone having this problem.

Yes, this myth covers superworms as well.
DIE MYTH, DIE!!!

M

megmac

If it was true the breeders who use them as a staple food wouldn't risk it. Petstores half the time don't know anything.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
That never happened to my jackie. -__- Inside gecko 's stomach have acid that kills mealworms and to disgest. It's just a myth. These Stupid people. :)

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
Myth, Myth Myth! The only problem I have with mealworms is that they make my monitor's poop all crazy. The little segments of the exoskeleton dont get digested & instead of a neat poop in their water dish, I get lots of pieces of floating segments. Makes it 100x's harder to clean. My adult male leo LOVES mealworms. He prefers them over crickets.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
myth.

i feed strictly mealies and supers to all my fat tails with the exception of a few picky eaters...never had one death because of a worm eating through one of my geckos stomach.

Keep in mind i feed THOUSANDS a week. ZERO deaths.

When will this myth DIE!?

Alex G

I had an encounter involving this the other day at a local pet shop... great prices on very nice quality feeders, but the employees are about as savvy about the animals they sell as a brick is about the house it is a part of. I asked about their mealworms and the girl asked what it was for. When i said leopard geckos, she launched into this tirade about how "mealworms are the leading cause of death in geckos because they eat through their stomach". I didn't even feel like arguing the point with her, so I just said something about it being temporary... from her point of view it will be, since I've started a small colony of my own. Other fun things that the employees there have told me:
- I need to buy at LEAST a 55gal tank for my cornsnake, because they can get 8ft long.
- Western hognose snakes are extremely venomous and if they bite you, you won't be able to use the arm they tag for a week
- Tricolor hognose snakes are also extremely venomous and a bite from them will put you in the hospital

If their prices weren't so good, I swear...

Mich

Maybe cricket suppliers started it.:main_rolleyes:

LOL Jumper, I think you're onto something!! Or maybe more exensive feeder peddlers that don't feel they get use enough like butterworm suppliers :p

nicosgeckos

Hide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mothership is coming!:main_lipsrsealed::main_no::main_yes: LOL Some one at the local pet store told me to put my geckos outside without a lid (Without feeding them) and let them "gain health.":main_angry: I have a bird's nest in my backyard....

Pokersnake

I've only really fed meal worms. Once I fed crickets, but the 20 small my female put down cost more than I really want to afford all the time. And twice now I've fed dubia to both of the leos. I can't wait for that colony to sprout.

minimoe80

Love My Leo
Mealworms eating a whole through a Geckos stomach is childs play compared to the super worms blowing a whole straight through them when they get digested and the super worm has gas....

Last edited:

Desdemona

I hadn't even heard this one yet, but still good to know it's a myth. I'm not a biology student, though I would check it out if someone told me that. I have only gone to reptile only shops, so they are a little better than the sell them all shops. Though I still wouldn't use them as my sole source of info.

Missinova

I'm so glad I found this thread...

My gecko has been feeding like crazy and I wanted to try superworms to see how she would do with them.

When I went to the petstore where I bought my crickets and mealworms, I asked about superworms and was told this myth by the manager of the store.

I'm really losing all respect for the local big pet store... looking for a different feeder supplier right away.

Visit our friends