New Gecko not pooping and tugging/sucking on moist paper towels in hide

barbaral

Hi all. My first post after joining just now. Have found your forums to be very helpful in the last week and a half of being a Leopard gecko owner and want to thank you for answering many of my questions already. My son and I have a gecko who is 8 months old according to the pet store (female), and we are already quite taken with her. She has been eating well since we got her which is encouraging. She is still adjusting to her new surroundings, I think,because the pet store sold me a way too small vivarium and we had to return it and start over after several days. Now she is quite happy in a 20 gallon tank. We have a warm hide (87-89 degrees), Reptile carpet, a dry cool hide and began a moist hide last night which she took to immediately. We got her on 7/28 and she had not pooped by 8/2, so I gave her a warm bath and she pooped right away. She pooped again the next day on her own (Fri) and has not pooped since. I am hesitant to stress her out again by putting her in a bath because the first one seemed to really upset her. She is not yet keen on being handled. A little while ago we noted she was (caught in the act) pulling her paper towels out of the Tupperware moist hide and appeared to be sucking on it. We made sure that she had not swallowed any and she hadn't. I guessed she may be getting moisture from it though she has a water dish clean and full. We have been feeding her 4 med crickets dusted in Reptocal with D3. She was in substrate at the pet store (though they advised me not to put her in substrate-go figure), but I am thinking she's not impacted since she did poop Fri. We held food Fri and Mon so she has only fed 4 of the last 6 days. Should I be concerned? Should I give her another bath straight away or wait it out another day. Anyone ever seen them tug/chew on the paper towels. Could find no people on the internet with this experience. Thanks!

Visit our friends