Maybe stupid Question

RocksMama77

Ok, when I thought my girl was pregnant I was researching egg incubation. I looked at like 100 websites and I came to a conclusion. All eggs need is moisture and a temp between 79 and 89 to hatch. So I was wondering if my girl did have eggs I could put them in a container filled with hatchrite and just put it on a heating pad. My reptile room is usually between 70 at night and 90 during the day. Would the eggs be ok?

RampantReptiles

The only stupid question is the one left unasked! :)
Eggs need a constant temperature without much fluctuation. In an exposed environment like just sitting on a heat pad there are too many variables as to what could affect temperature. Thats why people incubate in a closed environment like a styrofoam cooler or refrigerator or incubator of course.

Anymore than 2-3 degree changes can result in physical flaws as well as possible death for the eggs. Which is the reason that people use thermostats to keep the temperature at a certain temperature range. People also like to control the temperature so they can control the sex of the baby.

im faster

Should Slow Down
Ok not trying to sound like a jerk.. just curious... u say slight temp change can physically deform a baby...

where do u get this idea from??
i have 0 breeding knowlege just using common sense here... but in there natural enviorment i would bet there is atleast a daily 20+ degree temp change...

i ask because im currently incubating my eggs in my leos cage where there us up to a 15 degree change in temps...

i have also read people have sucsessfully hatched using this method

Riyo

Pet Human
If I'm not mistaken, in the wild leopard geckos lay their eggs in burrows where the temperature stays pretty constant and fluctuates minimally.

If your temperatures are fluctuating by 15 degrees I wouldn't hold a lot of hope of hatching things out. :(

RampantReptiles

Yep geckos in the wild bury their eggs and there are not huge temperature fluctuations.

Temperature fluctuation deformities include Eye lid notches and Kinked tails, dont think there are any others.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
People do have success incubating eggs in the gecko cage, but I imagine that with the eggs buried near a heat source there is less fluctuation at the site of incubation than there may be in the ambient temperature in the cage.

Aliza

im faster

Should Slow Down
honestly so far im having poor success..

ive lost 3 eggs..

the first 2 i dont thing were even fertal they came out of her yellow...

my temp fluctuation is only about 8 degrees

i just lost 1 of the newest clutch.. after about 2 weeks.. it got moldy and super soft..
the other one seems okay

roger

honestly so far im having poor success..

ive lost 3 eggs..

the first 2 i dont thing were even fertal they came out of her yellow...

my temp fluctuation is only about 8 degrees

i just lost 1 of the newest clutch.. after about 2 weeks.. it got moldy and super soft..
the other one seems okay

buy a used hovobator 1602N. with thermal heating.they are cheap

Visit our friends