Male sunglow with normal female

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As mentioned above, the "het" part works for albino but not for the degree of spotting which is what makes a gecko a "sunglow" (albino superhypo). If you breed the female babies back to the male, you may get some that will be both albino and also have no spots.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
so basicaly all the babies i get this season will be het for sunglow?

They'll be het for albino. There really is no "het for sunglow" since sunglow means superhypo. Some may have few or no body spots and these are the ones you'd want to breed back to the albino if you want a chance for sunglows in the next generation.

Aliza

scotty

well i plan on selling the babies to make some of the money i spent on starting the breeding back... Do you think that i could get maybe 40 bucks a baby or is that asking to much?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
well i plan on selling the babies to make some of the money i spent on starting the breeding back... Do you think that i could get maybe 40 bucks a baby or is that asking to much?

It depends on what other geckos in your area are selling for and what people will pay. We will have an article coming out in Gecko Time on 8/10 (Readers' Questions answered) about pricing geckos. I sell my geckos at $25-45 but I don't sell really high end geckos. I've been careful not to underprice my geckos so as not to wreck the market, but I am probably on the low side. On the other hand, except for last season where I produced twice the hatchlings I usually do, I'm sold out by January most of the time.

Aliza

Quantumhigh

Geckos of Oz
This is my first year breeding and selling. Like Aliza said be careful not to underprice your geckos. This empowers us as breeders and sellers to increase the market value. The higher the better, it takes alot of work and dedication to raise health strong geckos dont let consumers rip you off.

scotty

It depends on what other geckos in your area are selling for and what people will pay. We will have an article coming out in Gecko Time on 8/10 (Readers' Questions answered) about pricing geckos. I sell my geckos at $25-45 but I don't sell really high end geckos. I've been careful not to underprice my geckos so as not to wreck the market, but I am probably on the low side. On the other hand, except for last season where I produced twice the hatchlings I usually do, I'm sold out by January most of the time.

Aliza

and thats the thing i dont want to limit my sales to just my area, i want to try and sell them to people around the US ( you know? sell them to people that kind of know about the morphs and how much they are worth) I want to do that because a local pet store would probably give me 15-20 bucks a gecko and the worst part would be know that i could have gotten more money from that gecko. I too am not really into high end geckos because i am just starting out (i may move slowly up to high end geckos if i can keep selling the babies and make a little profit or even if i could break even with money spent breeding them. I only really do it for a hobby and because i love reptiles. I would be breeding snakes right now but my father is terrified of snakes and wont let me have one :/). Also do you ship yours or sell them locally? Because being sold out by january sounds pretty good and its something that i would want to happen.

scotty

This is my first year breeding and selling. Like Aliza said be careful not to underprice your geckos. This empowers us as breeders and sellers to increase the market value. The higher the better, it takes alot of work and dedication to raise health strong geckos dont let consumers rip you off.

yea and i know that consumers will try to rip me off, and because there are some people out there that are not very honest (thats why i love these forums is because everybody is honest and answers any questions that anybody may have about a leopard gecko. i also love it because people on here give out a lot of good tips and tricks that you cant learn from a caresheet or reading some article on the internet). It is also my first year of breeding and selling! so far i am loving the whole thing. I only really breed them and put all my money and time in it because of my love for reptiles. like i said i would like profit but will settle for breaking even. I asked about the price thing because i dont really want to over price or under price my geckos. i dont want to a price thats to high and people wont buy them and i dont want to have under priced them and then find out that i could have gotten more money out of them. I thought that about 40 bucks a baby would be okay if they came out a sunglow because i paid 100 bucks for my hybino (male). Also i only recently discovered that it is also known as sunglow. I dont really know if i got a good deal on him or not but i thought he looked pretty kool and thought that the babies would come out looking pretty kool. I already know i am dealing with a gravid female because i caught the end of the copulation process (which just happened yesterday. although i read that the female would refuse food after becoming gravid, today i got her to eat 3 crickets and 3 wax worms. I only fed the wax worms to her because i know that she will lose a lot of weight and i want to try and give her some fattening worms like that to give her some extra fat to go off of. and yea i hear ya raising healthy geckos does take some time and dedication and it takes a ton of research. I spend almost 3 hours a day researching and learning as much as i can about caring for them, breeding, genetics, tips and tricks, their personalities (even though every leo is different), and the diseases. The research part is never ending though, some of the professional breeders (or what ever you call them) may claim they know it all about these geckos, but you can never know enough about them. It does take a great amount of dedication because normally i wouldnt type or read this much if it was school work lol

Last edited:

Visit our friends