Internal Bleeding? Impaction?

Hankj

Last night I found this super hypo baby/juvie at a pet store for $20 and I need to fill my empty rack. I bought it pretty quickly without giving it a full look over but its belly looks bad. I have only owned one other baby so I do not know if this is a normal thing or if there is a problem. I am thinking it is a problem. Let me know what you think, please

shtbelly.jpg

It did eat some worms last night / today and poop.

gecko4245

Last night I found this super hypo baby/juvie at a pet store for $20 and I need to fill my empty rack. I bought it pretty quickly without giving it a full look over but its belly looks bad. I have only owned one other baby so I do not know if this is a normal thing or if there is a problem. I am thinking it is a problem. Let me know what you think, please

shtbelly.jpg

It did eat some worms last night / today and poop.

That's not normal. I would take her to the vet asap:(

LZRDGRL

That does definitely look like internal bleeding. I'm astonished it ate and pooped! If you can still return it to the petstore where you got it from and get a refund, you'd be better off doing that. If you take it to a vet, you'll lose a couple hundred dollars, but with internal bleeding, many geckos die. I had one that died the day after the reptile show where I got it, and it was hemorrhaging on the paper towel.

Sorry that happened to you! It is the store's responsibility to reimburse you or give you a replacement gecko. At least, they should pay your vet bill, if you decide to take it to the vet. See what they say...

Chrissy

Hankj

Do you guys have any idea what this could be caused by?

I think its kind of surprising too. It is very alert and acts very healthy. Does not seem to be in any pain.

gecko4245

I'm hoping it's internal bruising from a fall or something since she is eating and pooping but only a vet can tell. So sad.

gecko4245

I am not sure but I would think it depends on what happened and how long it has been. Since she is eating and pooping that's a good sign. If it is just bruising from a fall, it is like having a black and blue and should just go away. Doe her poop look normal?

Hankj

I did not analyze it too much. It was a little poop. Nothing about the appearance struck me as unordinary. However, I noticed that there wasn't much odor. Not that I tried to smell for it but usually I can really smell when they have poop, especially the littler ones.

Lets say she has internal bleeding from something that isn't a fall. Is there really anything a vet can do?

gecko4245

I did not analyze it too much. It was a little poop. Nothing about the appearance struck me as unordinary. However, I noticed that there wasn't much odor. Not that I tried to smell for it but usually I can really smell when they have poop, especially the littler ones.

Lets say she has internal bleeding from something that isn't a fall. Is there really anything a vet can do?

I have never had that experience with a gecko. I think they can to a certain degree. Also depends on how good the reptile vet if they have state of the art equiptment. No doubt it will cost a few hundreds tho. I am really thinking it might be just a bruise if she is active, eating and pooping, but I am not a vet so I don't really know. It would be nice if the store paid for her to get checked at least because I fear that if you just give her back she will be left there to die. I know it's unfortunate for you.

LZRDGRL

You should ask this a vet. Maybe you can call one and email that photo? He/she'll probably say that surgery might be the last option, but it's costly and the outcome is not guaranteed. IF that's what it is. It looks like internal bleeding, and not just like organs showing through. Very strange indeed. The problem is, help would be needed fast. We're not qualified to help you here. Maybe you can show this picture to a vet for an opinion and get a cost estimate. But I would hurry.

Chrissy

gecko4245

It's a ticking time bomb. Depends where the bleeding is coming from if that's the case. Do your best to ask a vet asap.

Hankj

I share similar feelings. Best case scenario would be the pet store taking on the vet bill. It is a Pet Supplies Plus so I am not really sure. They do seems to keep a little better care of their animals then some of the other stores around here. Months ago me and my friend pointed out that one of their babies on sand was impacted and they actually took their geckos off sand. However, I don't really think they will do anything for the gecko besides refund me and stick it in the back of the store to die, if it the injury is life threatening.
I also fear that the vets won't be much help. The ones around here seem to be very money hungry. I get a bad vibe from them. I can't get six stool samples without paying for six "check ups" first. I feel like they would take my money, tell me whats wrong and then tell me they can't do anything about it. That's why I have been asking about what a vet does in this situation.
The gecko being injured from a drop seems likely to me also. They have the gecko on the top enclosure, in a little critter carrier thing. When I asked to hold the gecko the employee just opened up the enclosure (at abdomen level) and had me reach in there and grab it. I was experienced enough to be very careful and made sure it didnt jump but I could see how some other customer employee might not be as careful.

I will try to contact a vet ASAP.

gecko4245

That would be fantastic but I doubt it would be available in vet offices at this point in time :/

Even too much Vitamin A can cause uncontrollable bleeding in the internal organs. A vet will need to find out where the bleeding is coming from before being able to tell you if it's treatable or not.

Hankj

I just talked to the secretary at the vet that I know does exotics. I asked her if there was anything they can do to a leopard gecko with internal bleeding and she said "There's possibly maybe something we can do for it BUT we need to see it first"

So maybe they can actually do something for it? She did mention surgery.

gecko4245

I just talked to the secretary at the vet that I know does exotics. I asked her if there was anything they can do to a leopard gecko with internal bleeding and she said "There's possibly maybe something we can do for it BUT we need to see it first"

So maybe they can actually do something for it? She did mention surgery.

Yeah, it depends on where the bleeding is coming from. If possible take her in tomorrow morning and they at least can give you an idea if it's treatable.

Hankj

I also just called the pet store and asked if they would take the animal to the vet if they had noticed it or if it was returned. The shift manager did not know and told me to call back tomorrow.

gecko4245

I also just called the pet store and asked if they would take the animal to the vet if they had noticed it or if it was returned. The shift manager did not know and told me to call back tomorrow.
oh,boy. That does not sound good so far:(

gecko4245

Are you at home right now? I am just curious about how she is acting. Make sure she has a warm side of 90-95 even at night just incase it helps with infection.

Visit our friends