Heating pad/UTH or heat lamp?

M

Marissa

I'm getting a leopard gecko sometime this week. (My first one ) I have done lots of research and know everything I need to know except the heating topic. I've seen sooo many articles saying don't use heating pads or UTHs because the geckos do not feel the heat on their bellies and before they know it they are bunt.

So, should I get a heat pad/UTH or heat lamp?

*If heating lamp;
-how many watts? I have a 10 gallon tank.
-any special colors (i heard blue or red for a leopard gecko).

*If a heating pad/UTH;
-how many watts? I looked at a petstore's website and their heater was 8 watts for a 10 gallon tank.
-any special brands, settings, etc.?

Oh, and do I need a night lamp?

Thanks for the help. I'm so confused but want what's best for my gecko.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Actually, the warning is against using heat rocks (it's a fake rock with a cord and plug) which will burn the gecko. Although some people prefer to heat with an overhead source, generally leopard geckos appreciate the heat mat which can be on all day and night and provides belly heat. I like the zoo-med heat mats. For a 10 gallon tank you could use one (I do think it's 8 watts) that's rated for a 10-20 gallon tank. You will also need a thermostat to keep the temperature from getting too high (low 90's is best). Reasonably priced thermostats are made by Zoo-med and Alife (ESU seems to be the same as this one).

Leopard geckos, unless kept in a totally dark room with no windows, don't really need a light. Some people use a red light so they can see their gecko at night. I don't, and am fine with turning on the overhead light if I want to see them. They don't seem to mind.

Aliza

M

Marissa

Thanks. :)
So, just the Zoomed mat and no heat lamp?
How do I keep the mat at the correct temperature?
Is there like a temperature setting or something?
Sorry for all the questions.

Actually, the warning is against using heat rocks (it's a fake rock with a cord and plug) which will burn the gecko. Although some people prefer to heat with an overhead source, generally leopard geckos appreciate the heat mat which can be on all day and night and provides belly heat. I like the zoo-med heat mats. For a 10 gallon tank you could use one (I do think it's 8 watts) that's rated for a 10-20 gallon tank. You will also need a thermostat to keep the temperature from getting too high (low 90's is best). Reasonably priced thermostats are made by Zoo-med and Alife (ESU seems to be the same as this one).

Leopard geckos, unless kept in a totally dark room with no windows, don't really need a light. Some people use a red light so they can see their gecko at night. I don't, and am fine with turning on the overhead light if I want to see them. They don't seem to mind.

Aliza

GeckoTrouble

An Under Tank Heater is best. I would highly recommend using it in conjunction with a thermostat and Thermometer with probe. Zoomed and Zilla both have good ones for the amateur herper.

The thermostat will allow you to maintain a good temperature for your gecko without having to worry about the temperature of the ambient air.

I personally keep a couple of red lamps just in case of a cold snap to warm up the ambient air as my house can get pretty cold in the winter

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Def. an UTH. That is the way that leopard geckos digest their food, they need the belly heat in order to do this. No over head heat lamp is necessary. As everyone else has said, use a thermostat as well and you can control the temperature with this, along with a thermometer to check the temps. Paper towels are a good substrate and shouldnt affect your temps any differently than most other substrates..
Dont be sorry for asking questions! No one minds helping out =]

M

Marissa

Thanks. :)
Might be a weird question- but do I place the heater under the tank or under the substrate?

Def. an UTH. That is the way that leopard geckos digest their food, they need the belly heat in order to do this. No over head heat lamp is necessary. As everyone else has said, use a thermostat as well and you can control the temperature with this, along with a thermometer to check the temps. Paper towels are a good substrate and shouldnt affect your temps any differently than most other substrates..
Dont be sorry for asking questions! No one minds helping out =]

GeckoTrouble

It should go under the tank (make sure the tank is slightly raised off any solid surface to prevent the surface from overheating.

sammer021486

If you purchase an exo-terra heat mat you actually get little bump-ons, which are just rubber feet to elevate the tank. I am not sure if you do with the Zoo Med UTH. I use only exo-terra heat mats because of their thickness (really thin) and I have had only one Zoo Med heat mat and it developed hot spots all over it, mind you it was before Zoo Med reconstructed to their new mats.

As for a thermostat, I am currently using Zoo Med's 500R and have not had any problems with it.

To help you visualize how the mat should look when setup under a tank. I have used the bump-ons, then ducted taped the mat on for the time being because I did not want to use the pads adhesive yet to permentantly secure the pad in place.

16350_167075338299_505568299_2808842_6292298_n.jpg

Just a picture of the bump-ons elevating the same tank

16350_167075333299_505568299_2808841_7132946_n.jpg

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
If you purchase an exo-terra heat mat you actually get little bump-ons, which are just rubber feet to elevate the tank. I am not sure if you do with the Zoo Med UTH.

Zoo Med heat pads also come with rubber feet. I like them better because they can be removed and reused easily, once you stick the Exo Terra heat pad on it's stuck forever.

sammer021486

Zoo Med heat pads also come with rubber feet. I like them better because they can be removed and reused easily, once you stick the Exo Terra heat pad on it's stuck forever.

Very true, its difficult to get an exo-terra off once its been stuck on. One suggestion I have seen floated around is to use GOO GONE to get rid of the adhesive. I have removed a few, but it normally results in the mat being slightly twisted from being pulled on. In my wooden tanks I just leave the mat as is out of the box.

Visit our friends