Gettting an AFT on Sunday.

Coretta

Hey guys! I'm getting a 4yr old african fat tailed male gecko in three days! So, I just want to know if I have everything right in my tank.

My tank is a 20 gallon L, it has half of it at 90-95 degrees F depending on the weather outside. The cool side is 80 F all the time. Not sure on the humidity but I can easily mist it often since I have hermit crabs that need daily misting too. I have a water dish, a food dish, and a dish for calcium. But I originally planned to buy a leopard gecko first so the calcium I have is for leopard gecks. but does it matter? I have three hideys, one on each side and one in the middle with frog moss underenath (frog moss okay?). So um thats about it aside from wondering how often I should feed him? And I suppose what. I know mainly crickets...and I can get my hands on mealworms soo...

Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It sounds as if you have what you need. Most fat tails won't eat mealworms, but you can always try. Mine mainly eat crickets but occasionally will eat superworms. At 4 years old, you can feed it every other day.

Aliza

BSM

It depends on the fat tail, i have some that will eat meal worms and anything else but then i have others that are the exact opposite. If he doesnt like meal worms, try super worms as almost all my fat tails even the wild caught will eat them.

Bryan

LizMarie

Your set up sounds fine, I personally mist one side of the tank lightly everyday then let it dry naturally.

Honestly feeding depends on the AFT my pair eat ANYTHING! They were feed crickets and now eat Roaches, Supers, Mealworms and Waxworms. Superworms seemed to be a favorite of theirs.

Coretta

Thanks everyone! I got her and her name is Gabriella. :) She eats refridgeerated crickets adn I hope to get her live ones sometime soon. I mist mein daily and am gogint o switch the paper towel substrate out for Eco Earth.

Visit our friends